How do I pay my rent in USD when I don't have USD cash?

aejj98

Registered
My rent is coming up soon and it is in USD. I have USD but I do not have cash USD. How am I supposed to pay my rent? Thanks

My rent is in USD and I pay it in pesos every month. It is blue rate ofc. You should have talked about this before you signed the papers but still, you can talk to the owner. It should be totally OK considering the current situation.

You open a lawsuit called "consignación de alquileres" and deposit there the amount in pesos at official rate. You cannot be evicted if it is paid like that.

It depends how the owner wants it. The most common ways are:

- Paying them in dollars with the dollars you have in cash physically
- Paying them in dollars via a transfer to their account abroad (most rich people here have this, aka most people wealthy enough to have a home to rent out, meaning they have more than one home themselves)
- Paying them in pesos at the blue rate

If they want physical dollars you can:

- Send yourself USD from your US account abroad to your Argentine bank account in your name in USD via a SWIFT transfer, minimum fee is ~$50 USD
- Send yourself money via Western Union and buy dollars on Florida Street
- Send yourself dollars via a digital cave, most charge ~5%, i.e. you send $100 USD to their account in the US and they give you $95 USD in cash

It depends how the owner wants it. The most common ways are:

- Paying them in dollars with the dollars you have in cash physically
- Paying them in dollars via a transfer to their account abroad (most rich people here have this, aka most people wealthy enough to have a home to rent out, meaning they have more than one home themselves)
- Paying them in pesos at the blue rate

If they want physical dollars you can:

- Send yourself USD from your US account abroad to your Argentine bank account in your name in USD via a SWIFT transfer, minimum fee is ~$50 USD
- Send yourself money via Western Union and buy dollars on Florida Street
- Send yourself dollars via a digital cave, most charge ~5%, i.e. you send $100 USD to their account in the US and they give you $95 USD in cash

That digital cave sounds like a sweet option. I'll have to ask around and see if I can find one.

All great answers. I don't know of any owner that won't give you the rate at the Blue dollar. No reasonable property owner will refuse that. Just be prepared to pay whatever the blue rate is.

You can buy dollars at one of the many Cuevas around town. Or just take a walk down Lavalle street and listen to the “Cambio” guys.
They're also on Florida street. You can’t walk more than ten feet without hearing the “Cambio, Cambio, Cambio“ chant.

Back