i have a cavity: should i get dental insurance or just go to a doc?

journeyjane

Registered
i think i might have a cavity- before leaving the US i went to a dentist who said she "thought she got all of my cavity out" but to go to a dentist if it started hurting again. stupid #$%^&.

so now it's hurting and i need to see a dentist. should i bother getting dental insurance and if so could i use it in time to see a dentist? ..or should i just go see one? i saw some past threads of people recommending dentists but a lot of the people who posted have their private message option off.

any reccos for a good dentist?? thanks in advance!

You don't say how long you're staying so impossible to say if insurance plan will have kicked in before you go. A lot of the plans have wait periods before you can start using them. If you use the search facility for "dentist" you should have results turn up for dentists that will accept cash as well.

journeyjane said:
i think i might have a cavity- before leaving the US i went to a dentist who said she "thought she got all of my cavity out" but to go to a dentist if it started hurting again. stupid #$%^&.

so now it's hurting and i need to see a dentist. should i bother getting dental insurance and if so could i use it in time to see a dentist? ..or should i just go see one? i saw some past threads of people recommending dentists but a lot of the people who posted have their private message option off.

Best Dentist in Buenos Aires (might see celebs in the waiting room).

Dr Schmidt
Santa Fe y Malabia

I'm not sure what he charges for a cavity fix, but I would guess around 200-300 pesos.

I would just go straight to the dentist....if your paying out of pocket they really are cheap.

My dentist charges about $180 for a filling, $970 for a crown. I've been told than many dentists don't take insurance because the insurance companies require them to use inferior (cheaper,) materials.

I think the issue with just going to the dentist without insurance is that they could request xrays and things like that and then if your cavity is serious, maybe root canal or a crown...
If you're going to be here for any length of time (6 months or so), I'd think about getting an insurance plan. Depending on your age, you could get a basic plan from Swiss or Osde or that expat Medicus plan I've read about on here and get all the treatment you need for around 400 or so pesos per month (less if youre under 25) . I had basic Swiss and Osde plans in the past and was able to start getting treatment straight away. There are certain restrictions at the beginning but I don't think this includes basic dentist care. Plus, then you're covered medically should anything else arise during your stay.

journeyjane said:

Unless your job is paying for the dental insurance or if it's included in your medical insurance, it's completely unnecessary and imo a waste of money. I got a filling here done for around AR150. X-rays really aren't that expensive and neither are the dentist's fees. Wages are much lower here for dentists so it's not passed onto to the patient. Even if it's something serious such as needing a crown I don't see you paying more than 200-300 dollars (max).

I know a guy who is really cheap, in fact he accepts only cash. He comes to you, he treats and operates out of the back seat of his car, keeps his overhead low. Nothing fancy mind you. If you want Novacaine it's extra.

gouchobob said:
I know a guy who is really cheap, in fact he accepts only cash. He comes to you, he treats and operates out of the back seat of his car, keeps his overhead low. Nothing fancy mind you. If you want Novacaine it's extra.

Hey, I know that guy! I had a wonderfully horrific tooth extraction by him. It was an experience of a lifetime..........and it there was "nothing fancy" about it.

gouchobob said:

How much if I just want the Novacaine?

Back