I just opened a peso bank account with my passport (no DNI or precaria), here's how

I used to own a business that involved banks in exotic places regularly eating deposits and wire transfers from my corporate accounts and me having to argue with them to get my money back every time.

Sometimes I do crazy things like "try to open a USD account at Banco Provincia with my passport" so my skills don't get rusty, This looks like a star candidate. I do, indeed, have a peso account with them that I opened with my passport. Thanks for the idea!

A piece of advice : When you do open your USD account with your precaria, don't automatically assume you'll be able to withdraw the money. If you think opening the account is a pain, getting your money back is always more stressful. Send a SMALL transfer at first and make sure you are actually able to withdraw it. Don't do something silly like open the account to buy an apartment, wire yourself the money, and assume the bank will just give you the money. There are always certain tiers that get triggered at certain levels, so while withdrawing $20 or even $1000 may be pain-free, at a certain point the bank always asks you to show documents like proof of funds, and the documentary requirements go up as the amounts go up. I would be anxious about them demanding proof you paid taxes to AFIP on money you deposit in the account.

You're in a world of hurt when they start demanding documents that don't exist and they refuse to release your money until you deliver them.
Thanks for the suggestion! Right now the primary purpose of a USD account for me is to satisfy the rentista requirements, so as of today I will need to transfer around 1100$ each month, but it is wise as you suggest to start small and see what hurdles are there when withdrawing. I can altenatively get pesos via Western Union into the peso account and then buy USD or USDT at a cueva; I think a few of us do that.

Back