I just opened a peso bank account with my passport (no DNI or precaria), here's how

Am I right that to get a dollar bank account one needs to have a DNI first? I'm working on the residency application process and the accountant I'm working with suggested I open a dollar account, but I get the impression that only a peso account is available pre-DNI.

My agent at Banco Itau indicates that to open a Dollar Account one needs a Local Income , Payslip, monotributo, etc. In addition to a DNI.

PD: To open a regular Checking Account conditions may be different

Am I right that to get a dollar bank account one needs to have a DNI first? I'm working on the residency application process and the accountant I'm working with suggested I open a dollar account, but I get the impression that only a peso account is available
Brubank might just ask them...

PD: To open a regular Checking Account conditions may be different
I think checking account is "cuenta corriente". It is an account that allows you to write checks, and it requires a credit check for approval.
"Caja de ahorro" = "savings account".

Brubank might just ask them...
Brubank is an online only bank that has no physical branches. So, there is no way to withdraw actual dollars.
I think it is difficult even for a resident to open a dollar account these days.

I got shot down earlier this week trying to get the CDI: they asked for a Certificado de Domicilio and then directed me to the police station. At the police station they explained that foreigners I have to use the online application. I haven't completed that step yet, since I'm looking to move in the next few weeks, but when I have a more permanent residence I'll try again.

[...] The app doesn't work at all, internet banking works but I had to spend a considerable amount of time getting it working, including convincing the bank employees that it could be done and helping them get the login information set up, their system has you register 3 different usernames and passwords, they all have to be unique, and if the process craps out at any point you have to start all over again and not reuse any of the same information. It also has to be manually enabled in the bank, and you will need to convince the people working there to do so. [...]
Was bank shopping recently for my coming kid's CGU. Looks like it won't be Provincia.

Next, take your CDI number printout and your other documents to one of the participating banks (Ciudad, Provincia, Santander y Macro).
Do you have a source about Ciudad, Santander and Macro participating in that? I went to the 3 of those and they told me even in the bigger branches in microcenter they are not participating and they don't care about the informe of the banco central. Tried to argue with them but it was useless. The most promising was Provincia but still waiting for an response of them.

Do you have a source about Ciudad, Santander and Macro participating in that? I went to the 3 of those and they told me even in the bigger branches in microcenter they are not participating and they don't care about the informe of the banco central. Tried to argue with them but it was useless. The most promising was Provincia but still waiting for an response of them.

there was a page on the bcra website but it looks like they've updated it to remove mention of the 4 banks. Maybe the banks don't open them anymore. The banks in Argentina are by far the most worthless I've ever dealt with. When I have to do anything account related 50% of the people at the main Provincia branch insist that a passport-only account can't exist and the other half have varying levels of knowledge about it. Maybe try again on a different day and talk to someone else? I have tried to get things done at other provincia branches and 100% of the people refused to even entertain the possibility that my account could exist, so make sure you're trying at the main branch.

The Banco Provincia website has a page where it states that you can open an account in USD if you have one in pesos, and a DNI or a passport (para estranjeros). Anyone had any luck with them?
Anyway, I got my precaria on Monday and will go there to open an account next week, and I will see what I can do. I'll post the outcome here.

The Banco Provincia website has a page where it states that you can open an account in USD if you have one in pesos, and a DNI or a passport (para estranjeros). Anyone had any luck with them?
Anyway, I got my precaria on Monday and will go there to open an account next week, and I will see what I can do. I'll post the outcome here.
I used to own a business that involved banks in exotic places regularly eating deposits and wire transfers from my corporate accounts and me having to argue with them to get my money back every time.

Sometimes I do crazy things like "try to open a USD account at Banco Provincia with my passport" so my skills don't get rusty, This looks like a star candidate. I do, indeed, have a peso account with them that I opened with my passport. Thanks for the idea!

A piece of advice : When you do open your USD account with your precaria, don't automatically assume you'll be able to withdraw the money. If you think opening the account is a pain, getting your money back is always more stressful. Send a SMALL transfer at first and make sure you are actually able to withdraw it. Don't do something silly like open the account to buy an apartment, wire yourself the money, and assume the bank will just give you the money. There are always certain tiers that get triggered at certain levels, so while withdrawing $20 or even $1000 may be pain-free, at a certain point the bank always asks you to show documents like proof of funds, and the documentary requirements go up as the amounts go up. I would be anxious about them demanding proof you paid taxes to AFIP on money you deposit in the account.

You're in a world of hurt when they start demanding documents that don't exist and they refuse to release your money until you deliver them.

Back