I leave the US for BsAs on Thursday!!! (packing question)

Don't forget your CD-ROMs for your computer : operating system, cd with the pilots on it, any programs you have.

If ever you have a problem (my hard disc crashed one week after moving here) you'll be glad you thought of bringing those CD-Roms with you.

If you are picky about coffee, and plan to make coffee in you flat, bring your own coffee. Really good coffee (or even just good coffee some would say) is hard to come by in the supermarkets here.

halYEM said:
thanks everybody for your help.
if unlocked phones are only 100 pesos then i think ill just stick to waiting.

Actually, it really depends of the phone you are looking for. Here unlocked phones often cost three times more than the locked ones, I dont think you will find a simple UNLOCKED phone (no camera, no mp3 player) for less than $300 pesos.

You can get some very cheap mobiles but they will always be locked by the company you bought it from.

yea same in the US, unlocked phones are way expensive. turns out my cousin had a leftover international phone, problem solved.

Bring an "ankle hideaway" where you can carry an extra set of keys, copy of your passport and some currency in case you get robbed.

Another interesting (and hopeful) way to prepare for the possibility of a mugging (besides trying to avoid places and situations conducive to mugging) is a method I picked up in Italy, where I was both mugged and the victim of a smash-grab from a scooter. I carry two wallets. One, which I squirrel away in a not too accessible location, holds my significant cash and credit cards and ID. The other, which I keep in an obvious and easy to see place, contains enough pesos (usually about 150) to satisfy the mugger, along with a couple of fake credit cards, the kind people always get in the mail as a come on with John Doe on it. That is the wallet I gladly hand over if necessary. As for passport, I only carry a photo copy of the picture page and a copy of the visa page. Since I do not own or use a car here, I do not carry my drivers license. As far as keys, our building fortunately has a portero 24/7, and I can get in that way if my keys are lost. Frankly, and I hope this does not turn out to be a Goldilocks comment, but I have had more crime issues and fears in both Milan and Lisbon than anything I've encountered in Buenos Aires. I am far more worried about breaking a leg in one of the breadbasket size potholes when crossing the street.

HDM said:
.... I carry two wallets. One, which I squirrel away in a not too accessible location, holds my significant cash and credit cards and ID. The other, which I keep in an obvious and easy to see place, contains enough pesos (usually about 150) to satisfy the mugger...I only carry a photo copy of the picture page and a copy of the visa page.... I am far more worried about breaking a leg in one of the breadbasket size potholes when crossing the street.

The advice about the two wallets is great as is the ID info (which should also be hidden). Only carrying a photocopy of your passport is a great idea.

As far as potholes go, I am from Chicago. The potholes here are insignificant by comparison, but the condition of the sidewalks are often another matter.

Just watch your step, especially if you want to avoid the doggie-do.

And LivinglargeBA was also spot on about sheets. If you are in the US go to the nearest target and buy the 400 thread count sheets (queen size). Even if you rent a place with a double bed or "standard" futon they will work and you won't regret it!

VieNeVautRien said:
Actually, it really depends of the phone you are looking for. Here unlocked phones often cost three times more than the locked ones, I dont think you will find a simple UNLOCKED phone (no camera, no mp3 player) for less than $300 pesos.

You can get some very cheap mobiles but they will always be locked by the company you bought it from.

I got a mobile on a pay as you go movistar contract for 100 pesos. No mp3 player, no camera, but who cares? I only want a phone, and nobody is going to steal it...

If you want a fancy-pants phone though you best bring your own, unlocked.

VieNeVautRien said:
If you do, make sure it is a cuatriband GSM one. Its supose to be compatible everywhere.
Also do not forger the proper adapter for the charger.

A quad-band GSM is nice for compatability everywhere in the world, but it is not really a must for Argentina. All you need is a GSM phone that operates in the band (MHz) of the local carrier you plan to use;
  • Claro: 850/1900 MHz
  • Personal (Telecom): 1900 MHz
  • Movistar (Telefonica): 1900 MHz
A single, dual, or tri-band might just work fine.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ar.shtml

If you want a fancy-pants phone though you best bring your own, unlocked.

I agree. There are cheap no-frills contract phones here. The only reason to bring one is if you want something fancy (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.), something that is not available here, or something that would cost more here unlocked.

Back