I may bitch about BA, but...

starlucia said:
... being able to eat my weight daily in fresh, insanely-cheap strawberries (2 kilos for $3.50 USD) makes up for an awful lot :D

But thats daylight robbery as they were 4.50 pesos a kilo in my verduleria Oct - Feb last year:mad:
FYI bought a 3kilo case here last month in Spain - 5 euros...cheap for here but not enough to bathe in like you guys there!

starlucia said:
... being able to eat my weight daily in fresh, insanely-cheap strawberries (2 kilos for $3.50 USD) makes up for an awful lot :D
You only weigh 2 kilos? Elf.

Lee said:
I am loving that I can finally get tree ripened peaches again!

This thread makes me realize how spoiled people are in Southern California.

In LA strawberries are "in season" January-November at the Farmer's Markets. I thought that it was funny that December wasn't included until I realized that the people who pick the Strawberries just up the road in and around Oxnard, CA all go home (to Mexico) for the month of December to celebrate Mary's birth and Jesus' birth.

So big, delicious, amazing smelling strawberries were only available 11 months out of the year, however they were never as cheap as they are here at the moment.

Love freezing strawberries for smoothies. Blueberries too, but they come from Tucuman and many of them are destined for the US.

Do strawberries keep you in BA? Would cheap mangoes keep you in Pakistan?

But thats daylight robbery as they were 4.50 pesos a kilo in my verduleria Oct - Feb last year

Si, I remember the halcyon days of 2 kilos/$7 last February :(

So big, delicious, amazing smelling strawberries were only available 11 months out of the year, however they were never as cheap as they are here at the moment.

I don't know about SoCal, but I could not believe how expensive strawberries were in the Bay Area! In Florida, the strawberries come straight from nearby Plant City, but even there, 1 pound runs about $4.00 (or during strawberry season, on sale for $1.75-2.50 per pound.) And you still have to schlep to the grocery store to buy them, so even though they are "local," they're just never as fresh.

Do strawberries keep you in BA? Would cheap mangoes keep you in Pakistan?

Yes, God forbid I actually be positive about one of the little pleasures of springtime in Buenos Aires :rolleyes:

Back