I Need A Cell Phone!

ilovelucy55

Registered
What is the best carrier to use? Are they all pretty much pre-paid?
I have an unlocked iphone and i would like to order my sim card from ebay before i leave.
The last thing i need is to be disconnected from the world when i land, with no working telephone and nowhere to go to find out how to turn it back on.

Are the plans here monthly or pay as you go?
Also, do most people pay for things here with cash or CC?

You can buy a SIM card ( here called "chip") pretty much anywhere here. Not sure however how functional e-Bay is at this time, as Argentina is still very much disconnected from the rest of the world, mainly import/exportwise. The simplest thing to do would be to just come here and land with your old Sim card in the unblocked phone, roaming here works relatively decently, and buy your new chip here. It costs about 25 pesos ( from Movistar or Personal). Then you have to top up some prepaid credit. Pay as you go is common here, best way to pay is still cash.

If you're going to live here get a plan, if you're just on vacation, pay as you go works great.

Not sure how easy it is to get a sim before you come. I recommend doing what dada said. Just buy a roaming package if you think you'll need it at the airport and then once in town, get a local sim.

It mainly depends on your planned usage. The easiest way to get a SIM card is prepaid and it's offered by all providers. Reception is depending on the area - phone is typically fine, internet can be good or bad. If you just want to send a few text messages/make a few local calls and have internet access (even though probably not with the speeds/reliability you are used to), tuenti is probably one of your best options as you have a solid base package for a good price and you can charge it in a lot of places or online.
Regarding payment in general: cash is king ;)

Don't buy the SIM before you come. I talked to a recent arrival that bought a SIM in the U.S. (probably on eBay) which he could not activate. Just wait until you arrive.

Back