I need a virtual US phone number to receive sms messages here in Argentina

I presume that the concept would work with any mix of US and local carrier in a dual Sim phone
There are only two GSM carriers who own their infrastructure in the USA - AT&T and T-Mobile. The rest of them are resellers, MVNOs, subsidiaries etc. Postpaid plans from AT&T or T-Mobile proper are likely to work abroad (at least for some time). Resellers normally do not establish international roaming contracts. So, their SIM cards work in the USA only. There are a few exceptions, like SimpleMobile, though.

This is very helpful. I was thinking along the same lines of getting a phone with dual SIM cards, the iPhone SE, to use when I'm there (in Argentina) and get their local SIM card that I would place in the second slot, but was not sure how it would work. My provider is T-Mobile, but since you say that the only solution has been using Google Fi, I'm wondering whether I should switch to be able to get the codes or was your point that as long as you have a US provider you're covered and able to receive the codes? Please let me know.
Your Movistar sim solution for the bundled services sounds great.
In order for you to receive calls and sms codes from the US Google Fi needs to connect with a local cell service in Argentina. I started with a Google Fi on a Samsung phone but learned that they do not connect locally as well as the Pixel phones which are built for Fi. I bought a $349 Pixel 3A several years ago and am totally satisfied with everything it does from sms codes to calls to photos.

Only for data. Still get sms codes and phone calls. Best to have a dual sim phone. One sim for movistar/personal/etc. One for Fi
How much is the call/text "plan" and can I port my number? I have a dual sim and this would work. I'm using Google voice now but want something I little more reliable.

All those verification codes for my US credit cards are driving me crazy, any recommendations ... Virtual US phone number? Who ?
Download the TextNow app. It’s totally free and 5 bucks gets you text verification for a year. It only does not work with IRS and the bank, but you can just do call verifications instead.

How much is the call/text "plan" and can I port my number? I have a dual sim and this would work. I'm using Google voice now but want something I little more reliable.
i hardly use SMS so i avoid those charges, i think my Fi bill ends up around 35 bucks a month now that data is cut off.

you can check and see if your number can be transfered over: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6150327

Back