I pay for cable but I don't have a TV

The ts stated that they pay for cable but do not own a tv with which to watch it on. The cable comes pre installed in the building and if the cable company is charging them, it must be installed in the apartment.

The issue is the owner won't cancel the service.

steveinbsas said:
I think you're mixing two posts here. The OP is in a building with cable service that is available but not connected in his apartment.

Ask if they can suspend the service. I'm not sure if you can do it with cable, but with a phone line you can. I had the owner of my apartment suspend the phone line without shutting the account off. She will have to renew the request every six months.

I tried talking to the people here, they told me that we have to pay since it's apart of the building expenses, we are renting here for two years which makes me kind annoyed. I guess next time we rent we will have to make sure we discuss these things before hand. I suppose at least if I can't get the problem fixed this time I will learn from the mistake and not let it happen next time.

And rca, trust me if I had the money I would buy a TV, I miss mindless hours of entertainment. On another note we do need a fridge and a TV so if anybody knows where to buy cheap or used electronics let me know :)

It's not difficult to get out paying the phone bill here. Tell the owner to call Telecom or Telefonica and have them suspend the line. You won't get charged and when you move they just have to call the phone company and have them open the line again. They won't have to change their phone number. It can be done in one fast phone call.

Moonwitch said:
Get it suspended.

youwin1internets.jpg

Check Mercadolibre for tvs/refrigerators/etc.

Also worth it to keep your ears/eyes open for any expat moving sales - there have been a few posted here lately - sometimes people have things like that to sell.

Also, if you have a local credit card, you can buy one new and pay in quotas - a lot of them have no interest for X period of months. Might make the pain of buying it a little less.

Moonwitch, I think you missed the point of the thread, that's what I wanted to do, suspend the service, but according to my contract with the apartment we apparently are not allowed to because they have a deal with the company and it's considered apart of the expenses that everyone must pay.

Citygirl, thanks for the info. We actually found another expat here who had an old TV to offer, it will be coming soon! YEAH! We tried going to a few places to see if we could pay in payments but neither one of us have a DNI (it's something we are in the process of getting) and they said we either could not get credit with the stores or they would only allow us a small amount of credit, not nearly enough for a television. It's useful information for anybody else out there who is living here without a DNI and needs expensive stuff, it's really hard to do much without it!

We really just got lucky on this one, I didn't even ask for the TV these people I know they just randomly happened to have it. Still sucks that we paid 7 months of cable for nothing.

Is it just me or it is a lot easier to find second hand stuff in the states?

Maybe it is just that Argentinians aren't as upgrade and credit happy as Americans are and they keep things longer. At least that would be my guess.

laureltp said:
Is it just me or it is a lot easier to find second hand stuff in the states?

Back