I pay for cable but I don't have a TV

laureltp

Registered
I have a question. 6 months ago we moved into our first real apartment here with the rent in pesos and everything. But one thing that bothers me is that the cable is apart of the building expenses and when we asked about it they said that we have to pay for cable even though we don't have a TV to use it.

Is this a standard thing here or are these people just being cheap?

I call that bulls**t, you have to ask your landlord to tell the building Manager to cancel the cable service for your unit. Later on they can turn it back on if they want.

I agree with Nikad. There was cablevision service in my building, but I didn't use it and I wasn't charged for it. Those who used it paid equal shares.

I did have a TV, but I had Direct TV instead.

Similar situation happened to me with our telephone line. The owner refused to cancel service (I don't need a ground line - I use my cell or Skype) and I've been forced to pay Telecom 30 pesos a month for a line I don't even use.

Some " consorcios " do group billing for their cable ( to get a discount ) and it gets paid in the expensas, but only if the owner chooses to do it and only if the owner has cable installed in their apartment.

I'm guessing the owner just doesn't want to cancel the service. There really is no other reason for this.

Have the owner cancel the service, or ask him why he doesn't want to. If you are renting long term without furniture and you weren't planning on buying a TV, you should have negotiated the cable tv expense beforehand.

AlexfromLA said:
Some " consorcios " do group billing for their cable ( to get a discount ) and it gets paid in the expensas, but only if the owner chooses to do it and only if the owner has cable installed in their apartment.

I'm guessing the owner just doesn't want to cancel the service. There really is no other reason for this.

Have the owner cancel the service, or ask him why he doesn't want to. If you are renting long term without furniture and you weren't planning on buying a TV, you should have negotiated the cable tv expense beforehand.

I think you're mixing two posts here. The OP is in a building with cable service that is available but not connected in his apartment.

Mcaffa is referring to a telephone that is particular to their rented apartment and the owner does not want to deactivate the line.

mcaffa said:
Similar situation happened to me with our telephone line. The owner refused to cancel service (I don't need a ground line - I use my cell or Skype) and I've been forced to pay Telecom 30 pesos a month for a line I don't even use.
That is a different situation as the land line was attached to the property and most likely the landlord did not want to lose it and then get a different number later on. Actually most long term rental contracts fine you if for any reason the landlord loses the land line number, as this is unique.

AlexfromLA said:

Well, I agree with you since most likely this is stated in your rental contract ( the fact that building expenses include cable service ) it would have been best to tell the landlord before signing anything ( they are all desperate to rent nowadays, trust me ), but unless he is a real j**k he only needs to talk to the building manager and maybe send a fax. Also cable companies give these lower rates to get everybody to sign in, but if a few later on cancel, they do not touch the price ;)

mcaffa said:

I have to say, the telephone lines are a little bit more tricky. No owner I know will cancel a telephone line for a rental. The telephone line gets sold with the apartment as an asset.

AlexfromLA said:
I have to say, the telephone lines are a little bit more tricky. No owner I know will cancel a telephone line for a rental. The telephone line gets sold with the apartment as an asset.

Interesting, good to know.

Back