ibuprofen & ibuprofen

dutara

Registered
I see in shops like Farmacity a whole display of ibuprofen, all are 400mg tablets/capsules. Some are double the price of others, same dosage.
Any notable differences?

I haven't seen naproxen here, I'm guessing you have to get it from the pharmacist.

Just... Bought some Ibuprofen. One is a 10 pack the other is a 20 pack. Otherwise the packaging is identical.

One is probably generic, hence the lower price. The only difference is the price.

dutara said:
I see in shops like Farmacity a whole display of ibuprofen, all are 400mg tablets/capsules. Some are double the price of others, same dosage.
Any notable differences?

Doctors here have always told me to stick with Actron or Ibupirac. Apparently there is a difference in the quality of ingredients used in the cheaper brands.

I can say that I do notice the difference as well - the cheap stuff doesn't take headaches away like the ones I mentioned above do.

dutara said:
I haven't seen naproxen here, I'm guessing you have to get it from the pharmacist.

They used to sell Aleve here but I haven't seen it for a couple of years, unfortunately. That stuff is the best!

If it's generic there is no difference. And if your doctor tells you otherwise, get a new one.

xibeca said:
If it's generic there is no difference. And if your doctor tells you otherwise, get a new one.

My mother-in-law is a well-respected physician here and has told me that here in Argentina, generics are not to be trusted. Another doctor I see also told me the same thing when I asked if I would be ok going with a generic antibiotic.

p.s Farmacity does not have good prices aside from its brand name generics.

Labs do have some kind of arrangements with the doctors, so they might get something "in exchange" for recommending some particular brand. On the other hand, I've also read about people getting a reaction to one of the "filler" components on generics meds.

Generics are not necessarily the same as each other or the same as brand name medications here. They can contain for example other inactive ingredients. I learned this the hard way after having a terrible allergic reaction to a generic medication here. It's definitely "buyer beware." I think I must have had a reaction to another one of the ingredients it had.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 9