If Not Argentina Then Where?

If you like Latin countries then $14K a year will go far in Tijuana, Mexico....just don't drink the water!

All joking aside, you should look into a place like the west coast of Florida. On $14K a year you can get a double wide trailer on a sandy beach and you can drink the water. Otherwise, if you hope to stay in most places in the US of A plan on working at Wal-Mart to supplement your income and living in a studio apartment until doomsday. Good luck.

I have never been there but I'm hearing that many are heading to Nicaragua.

Lee said:
I have been there and I loved it. I could relocate there in a second. My partner however thinks it is too 3rd world for his living there long term.

Judging by all the House Hunters International episodes in HGTV it seems Nicaragua is now a hotspot for the surf loving expat crowd. San Juan del Sur looks awesome and real state is still cheap. Reminds me of Costa Rica 20 years ago. But then again, your partner is right in the sense that after a few months you will be longing for all the confort stuff more so than in Argentina.

The upside is that the US is a short flight away and you will see frequent cheap flights $99-$350 to Miami or Houston, only a dream in B.A.

Medellin is #1 on my list right now. Why do you like it so much, kisicki? How do costs compare to BA on things like renting apartments, groceries, restaurants, etc.?

It's been 10 years since I started this thread and as many said here things will look very different years down the road. I suspect few thought it would be cheaper though. I've done some traveling since 2017, and was planning to come to Argentina right before Covid-19 hit. Was in Albania at the time and as everything was locking down quickly flew home to K.C. I'm planning to fly down just as soon as possible, and hope to find a place in the towns surrounding Cordoba. And arriving at that decision wasn't easy with the choices available.

My advice - Move to Salta. Much cheaper, much beautiful and LOTS to do. Wonderful, warm people.

My advice - Move to Salta. Much cheaper, much beautiful and LOTS to do. Wonderful, warm people.
A friend of mine noticed that Bahia Blanca had a lot of reasonably priced Airbnb rentals. To him the fact that it doesn't have a nice beach so isn't swamped in the summer makes it very attractive. I prefer trees and grass to concrete so am focused on small towns. Salta is definitely on the radar if I go for a bigger city. Just read some good info about Rio Ceballos just outside of Cordoba. Alta Gracia as well. Being close enough to the city for an occasional trip plus close to the airport works for me while they are nice places in their own right.

If I was not a frequent traveler, I would move to Salta in a heartbeat and live there for rest of my life. Saying that, after traveling over 100 odd countries and 300 odd cities in my lifetime.

Back