If You Are A Brit, Clap Your Hands!

Many people here have met a true Glaswegian......

One of my best friends is a working-class Glaswegian who became an academic. While he is highly articulate - in English and Spanish - he is not exactly shy and retiring. Even though we've known him for many years, his accent and vocabulary can be a challenge to my Argentine wife, whose English-language skills are well above average.

One of my best friends is a working-class Glaswegian who became an academic. While he is highly articulate - in English and Spanish - he is not exactly shy and retiring. Even though we've known him for many years, his accent and vocabulary can be a challenge to my Argentine wife, whose English-language skills are well above average.

Can she understand him when he speaks Spanish?

Maybe this is why many Argentines call us 'pecho frio'.
That term always confused me. The attitude some Argie's have to people from the northern hemisphere. It's a kind of clique to be Argentine no? They've cornered the market on friendliness, passion, politeness, etc.

So, let's test that theory at any restaurant and see what kind of pecho the mozzo has.

On pecho frio....

“I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

A William Burroughs quote I always liked.

Back