If You Could Do It Over Again...advice/info For A New Family

5 thousands dollar per month without school, without rent and without health insurance (probably the main expenses) is a lot of money here. A 4 members middle class type family here lives with less than 2 thousands. Life is very cheap with the blue rate. You will save some money, surely.

As to where to live, find the area that fits your lifestyle. If you live the typical kiwi outdoor life, go where you can continue enjoying that. A lot of your social life will come through your husband's work contacts, so you'll need to be close enough to participate easily in that.
To bring with you:
-Jeans, sports shoes, underwear, socks, sheets, towels. All Argentine versions of these products are adequate (and by adequate I mean look good, last 3-4 months then start falling apart).
- Electronics. Ipads, iPods, tablets, laptops, some kind of e-reader as English book selection is very limited and eccentric to say the least (from Shakespeare to Jackie Collins with not much in between)
- kid's toys and books, it is hard to find good quality here and they are quite expensive.
- marmite / vegemite and maple or golden syrup. Even if you don't eat them they'd be good for trading with other expats. ;)
- if you like cooking, bring any spices or Asian sauces you use. If you like hot cross buns you'll have to bake your own, so bring all spice. :)
Just about everything else can be found here. Things I miss are things I could never find here like feijoas.
If housing, schools and medical insurance is covered by the employer you'll have no problem with that budget.

We're a family of 4 who faced exactly the same as yourselves 2 years ago. We've now been here for 2 years and will probably stay for more time. We live in Hurlingham where I work at a great school, St. Hilda's College. Our 2 children are now 4 and 5 and doing really well at the school's kindergarten and are growing up bilingual.
Argentina is a paradox for us but the majority of people are really friendly and especially child friendly too. The frustrations of not being able to get overseas post and issues of security make it difficult at times. Bureaucracy is a nightmare too particularly when you have young children. However the pace of life is much better particularly as a teacher. If you're looking for a school I can recommend a very good one!
Best of luck

Here's an interesting thread from 2 years ago full of doom mongers and naysayers about bringing a family to Argentina. Unfortunately this forum can attract lots of negative vampires with too much time on their hands. Still it's a great resource once you filter out a lot of this!

http://baexpats.org/topic/22834-would-you-move-a-family-to-argentina/page__hl__%2Bwould+%2Byou+%2Bmove+%2Bargentina

Here's an interesting thread from 2 years ago full of doom mongers and naysayers about bringing a family to Argentina. Unfortunately this forum can attract lots of negative vampires with too much time on their hands. Still it's a great resource once you filter out a lot of this!

http://baexpats.org/...move +argentina

WOW - interesting reading, thanks for sharing. It would be fascinating to have the original contributors comment now on what was said then. LOTS of food for thought.

We're a family of 4 who faced exactly the same as yourselves 2 years ago. We've now been here for 2 years and will probably stay for more time. We live in Hurlingham where I work at a great school, St. Hilda's College. Our 2 children are now 4 and 5 and doing really well at the school's kindergarten and are growing up bilingual.
Argentina is a paradox for us but the majority of people are really friendly and especially child friendly too. The frustrations of not being able to get overseas post and issues of security make it difficult at times. Bureaucracy is a nightmare too particularly when you have young children. However the pace of life is much better particularly as a teacher. If you're looking for a school I can recommend a very good one!
Best of luck
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I think we are coming down to whether or not our perceived fears/challenges outweigh the opportunity/adventures.

5 thousands dollar per month without school, without rent and without health insurance (probably the main expenses) is a lot of money here. A 4 members middle class type family here lives with less than 2 thousands. Life is very cheap with the blue rate. You will save some money, surely.
Hmm I may have that amount wrong but good to know that we will manage, even if it is closer to 2K.

As to where to live, find the area that fits your lifestyle. If you live the typical kiwi outdoor life, go where you can continue enjoying that. A lot of your social life will come through your husband's work contacts, so you'll need to be close enough to participate easily in that.
To bring with you:
-Jeans, sports shoes, underwear, socks, sheets, towels. All Argentine versions of these products are adequate (and by adequate I mean look good, last 3-4 months then start falling apart).
- Electronics. Ipads, iPods, tablets, laptops, some kind of e-reader as English book selection is very limited and eccentric to say the least (from Shakespeare to Jackie Collins with not much in between)
- kid's toys and books, it is hard to find good quality here and they are quite expensive.
- marmite / vegemite and maple or golden syrup. Even if you don't eat them they'd be good for trading with other expats. ;)
- if you like cooking, bring any spices or Asian sauces you use. If you like hot cross buns you'll have to bake your own, so bring all spice. :)
Just about everything else can be found here. Things I miss are things I could never find here like feijoas.
If housing, schools and medical insurance is covered by the employer you'll have no problem with that budget.

Thanks again for your helpful info AngelinBA :)

Hmm I may have that amount wrong but good to know that we will manage, even if it is closer to 2K.
2K...I don't think you would be happy or secure with 2K. Better get some hard numbers.

Hi there
Yes we are expecting a formal offer from a company soon and expect that relocation services will be included. I suppose Im just doing as much research as possible in case we are suddenly 'All Systems Go!

On pay, make sure you ask the company if they can deposit a significant amount of your husband's pay overseas (in US or Aust bank). It is doable for companies that earn USD abroad.

Back