Illegal to have English-language books sent here?

Attorney in BA said:
I've never heard of such a law, and I'm pretty confident that it doesn't exist. I have purchased books from Amazon and other online stores in the US many times, had them mailed here, went through customs, and never had any difficulty.

If they ever say it again, and insist that the books are not allowed into the country, they have to do it in writing, and you have a right to appeal. They cannnot just keep the books, etc.

Can't we send this guy a letter from a lawyer saying that no such law exists and that he should stop "shaking down" people?

mini said:
Can't we send this guy a letter from a lawyer saying that no such law exists and that he should stop "shaking down" people?

That would be great. I would just love to confront him about his BS law.

My percentage of receiving anything through the mail here is about 30%, don't know what happens to the rest. My suspicion is that a lot of stuff, especially incoming packages are pilfered for valuables. The stuff that does make it is often held up in customs, sometimes requiring bribes to get it out. It's not worth trying to get stuff in, pick up the stuff you need on return trips home.

mini said:

I don't think people understand how things work in S.A. and Argentina. More often than not people receive their government jobs in exchange for work and support for politicians. They often only have the job as long as the politicians they support are in office. When a new government arrives many the employees in government offices change. Since the people will only have their jobs for a limited time their objective is to make the most of it while they have it, i.e. shake down as many people as possible, and because they are allied in to the politicians they do this with little fear of consequences.

If this system sounds like a recipe for corruption then you get my point.

Maikito said:
That would be great. I would just love to confront him about his BS law.

Yeah! I want to tell him we're on to his little game!

gouchobob said:
I don't think people understand how things work in S.A. and Argentina. More often than not people receive their government jobs in exchange for work and support for politicians. They often only have the job as long as the politicians they support are in office. When a new government arrives many the employees in government offices change. Since the people will only have their jobs for a limited time their objective is to make the most of it while they have it, i.e. shake down as many people as possible, and because they are allied in to the politicians they do this with little fear of consequences.

If this system sounds like a recipe for corruption then you get my point.

Thanks Gaucho... I wasn't -really- being serious. I know it would do no good. But it sure would be nice to see the little shit's face!

I can imagine how frustrating that must have been getting shaken down like that. It may have had somethign to do with having a hand out for a bribe, but I'll bet it was more related to the aduaneros political leanings...

I just got three books in my monthly mail shipment from the States. Brand new, English-language books ordered from Amazon. The commercial invoice/declaration sent by DHL clearly labeled the contents as books and papers, and coming from the US, I'm sure the aduaneros realized the contents were in English.

BTW - getting books from the States is not necessarily outrageously expensive, at least not if you don't order too many and too often (someone made the comment about having books sent from the States that seemed as though they were saying it was expensive).

I ordered three books from Amazon - two hard backs (one of 900 pages, the other about 600) and a large paperback (longer and wider than "normal"). Total cost from Amazon was $45.

I use USABox.com to forward my mail to me. I pay $32 a month for the service, and am allowed up to 4 pounds sent once a month for that price. They also will re-pack all your mail so that if you get a couple of different boxes, for exmaple, the will unpack it and repack to reduce size and number of boxes. I've seen other mail forwarding places mentioned previously as well, that I'm sure are as good at least, if not better.

With all my other mail (including a couple of magazines as well) and the books together, the weight of the package was 5.5 pounds. It cost me an extra $5.50 to send the books.

I got my shipment in three days. No worries about things disappearing - came straight to my door this morning.

I don't know what it costs to ship direct from Amazon. Nor have I had things sent through regular international mail, so I can't comment on that. But if you have a mail forwarding service anyway - you almost can't lose.

I've bought hardback books here of around 500-600 pages, English language (at Cuspide mostly) and have paid a good $120 pesos. That was when the exchange rate closer to 3 to 1 than the near 4 to 1 we are seeing today, so it was almost $40 US to buy a book like that. Even at the current exchange rate with the same price as a year or so ago, that would be a little over $30 US. I don't know what the costs are now because I stopped buying them here locally.

My three books averaged nearly $17 US with shipping included. Can't beat that!

Even factoring in the shipping costs for my forwarding service (which isn't quite right because I really use that to get my mail anyway), it would still be an average of only $27 US a book, still cheaper than buying locally.

Of course, this doesn't count used books. I haven't tried one of the local used book locations mentioned in the forum, but one day...

Lee said:
That is only because there are cameras everywhere watching them or you can bet they would try it there as well!

But the US society has said that corruption is something they don't want AND has taken steps to actually reduce it as much as possible, without ignoring human tendencies of greed and desire for power. Not perfectly, obviously, but it's like traffic laws as well - things like reducing corruption and reasonable driving are important to US and many other cultures and the laws and attitudes reflect that.

Here (in LA, not just Argentina), corruption is accepted (although not liked by those who are targets, but beloved by those who are recipients), as well as insane driving with no consequences except death - often to others.

Back