Immigration Check Returning From Antarctica To Ushuaia?

camel

Registered
Does anyone know if when you return on a ship that left from Ushuaia, went to Antarctica (around 12 days), and returns to Ushuaia - do they do an immigration check? Technically it seems like you've left the country. I'm asking for overstay reasons.

I googled and found one answer, which says they do not do an immigration check:

I went to the Antarctic Peninsula from Ushuaia last November. The crew took my passport before I boarded the ship, and returned it just before we came back to Ushuaia. I don't know what kind of formalities there were before the departure, but at least I didn't get an exit stamp to the passport. When the ship returned to Ushuaia, they just transfered us to our hotels without any formalities.

http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/25156/do-you-get-passport-checked-on-a-round-trip-to-antarctica-from-ushuaia-argentin

no idea but If you go though you will have to let me know how it goes because I really want to make it down there at some point !

When I visited Ushuaia in 2012, a travel agency selling Antartica tours (for 7 or 10 days, don't recall, on a boat, etc.) was offering a big discount since the boat, scheduled to leave a few days after, still had room left. Usual price was something like 10.000 USD (don't recall precisely), rebate price was 3.500 USD (was a big rebate).

Worth considering for those living here & wanting to see Antartica (contact agencies in Ushuaia and wait for a VG deal)

If you come overland, you will cross a bit of Chile anyway, so that might solve the problem, or you could take a tour to Chile.

I only visited Antarctica from Chile (from Punta Arenas, by plane) for a climb, and there we did have formalities (exit and entry stamp later on. It might be different for Argentina though, especially as they consider a large part of this side of the world to be part of the country.

Back