his spelling was imperfect. I say that foreigners often need the services of
some one who speaks adequate, but not perfect, Spanish and English (or
Spanish and another language).

There were many times when I would´ve loved to have had an interpreter,
(spelling ? Hahaha) but there´s no way I would pay the high cost for an
official interpreter.

I often just needed some one who could communicate clearly with a bank
or building tradesmen, ec.

To have some one like that to call on for an affordable fee would be excellent !

@Paul bee,

couldn't agree more.

I have interacted with some official translators in recent times. And find that they are all over priced lazy bums! They want good money but are extremely lazy, slow, unresposnive non-professional! And some of them have been recommended by expats on this site. Usually someone's bf or gf.

A non - official but locally raised translator would be adequate for my needs.

For what it's worth, when I went to a speech of Cristina's in Berkeley, she had an astonishingly good simultaneous translator. Of course, even the finest translator would have difficulty conveying her "ideas," such as they are, but it was interesting to note that not all Argentine government employees are incompetent.

"some one" or someone? :p

So, what's next? Are we going to stone the messengers on this thread or discuss spelling nazism?
BTW, I'm available and willing to help (most of the time).

@Paul bee,

couldn't agree more.

I have interacted with some official translators in recent times. And find that they are all over priced lazy bums! They want good money but are extremely lazy, slow, unresposnive non-professional! And some of them have been recommended by expats on this site. Usually someone's bf or gf.

A non - official but locally raised translator would be adequate for my needs.

Ive found that out of all of my argentine friends, they ones who would be the best translators never are and the 3-4 friends of mine who are or are studying to be tranductores publicos can't hold a candle to them.

Oh well....

For what it's worth, when I went to a speech of Cristina's in Berkeley, she had an astonishingly good simultaneous translator. Of course, even the finest translator would have difficulty conveying her "ideas," such as they are, but it was interesting to note that not all Argentine government employees are incompetent.

Cristina's translator is amazing.

Cristina's translator is a certified legal translator and a teacher at the University of Buenos Aires. His name is Walter Kerr. I am a legal translator from the University of Buenos Aires too and met this man in person. He is also a lawyer.
In order to become a legal translator in this country and specially if you expect to graduate from UBA you must study very hard for 5 years or more.
In my case, I graduated after 7 years because I had a full-time job and it was difficult for me to devote the necessary time to both activities simultaneously.
We are not all lazy as someone said here and we deserve to be paid properly. Now, if you want to hire someone who can just speak Spanish and English, you don't need someone who holds a university degree for that.

Back