Import a motorcycle into BA - Air ship

rossmoesis

Registered
Does anybody have any experience with bringing a motorcycle into BA? I have a DNI, perm address and work visa. I'm just unsure on how to navigate the entire process. Below is what I found on the internet but I am searching for somebody that has been through this process before. I found this information below. Thanks

Details on bringing a vehicle to Argentina, with details on temporary entry and importation...
Vehicles may be brought into Argentina in one of two different ways:

A temporary entry permit
Importation
A temporary import will be completed at the point of entry into Argentina. The information below is intended as a simplified guide to what is an extremely complex process for both temporary entry and for importation.

The first step is to contact the Argentinian consulate in the country of residence to start the procedure for bringing a car to Argentina. - How do I do this?

-Do I contact the Argentina consulate in the united states? any experience with this?

According to Law No. 25,871 and its amendments and the Decree No. 616 of May 6, 2010, the following people may import cars:

Foreigners with permanent residency in Argentina and returning Argentinian citizens
Foreigners with a temporary visa
Diplomats and military personnel
Foreigners with Permanent Residency
Returning Argentinian citizens and foreigners with a permanent resident visa may import one used car and/or one motorcycle, and no more than two vehicles per family. The vehicle owner must be at least 21 years old and the vehicle must be registered in their name and have been used by them for at least three months prior to arrival. Permanent residency must be obtained before the vehicle arrives in Argentina. The import of new vehicles is subject to regulations - only certain makes and models may be imported.

Vehicles with a value of less than or equal to fifteen thousand dollars (U$S 15,000) or its equivalent in another currency are excempt from import duties, taxes and other contributions. If the vehicle exceeds a value of US$ 15,000, estimated costs are approximately 80 to 100 percent of the vehicle's value, which includes tax and freight.

-How do they detemine a value of 2010 BMW F800gs?

The vehicle may arrive in Argentina no more than three months before the owner's arrival in the country and no later than six months afterwards. The car will only be released after the arrival of the owner in Argentina. If the vehicle arrives in Argentina before its owner, it will remain at customs until the owner's arrival in the country.

The vehicle may not be sold in Argentina during the first two years after import.

Temporary Entry
The authorities allow the importation of one car and/or one motorcycle temporarily for the same period for which the owner's visa is granted and may be renewed as often as the visa is renewed. After this period the car/motorcycle must leave Argentina.

Documents Required
The following documents are required to bring a vehicle to Argentina:

Proof of identity, passport with the appropriate visa or DNI (national identity document) - I have this
Foreigners with permanent residence in the country, the certification issued by the National Directorate of Migration - I have this
Original purchase invoice of the car/motorbike - I have bill of sale. bought the bike used 5 years ago
Original driving license - I have this
Original car/motorbike registration documents - I have this
Three original Ocean Bill of Ladings in the shipper's name - Air shipped, I will have this

Certificate of residence: Returning Argentinian citizens must provide a certificate of residence from their previous country of residence proving that they have lived abroad for the last two years. Foreigners must provide a certificate of residence stating that they have lived in the country of origin for at least 12 months. This can be obtained from the Argentinian Consulate in the place of residence

A Pre/Shipment Inspection Certificate (Certificado de pre-embarque) - Who does this?

All documents issued abroad must be certified and authenticated by the Argentinian Consulate with jurisdiction in the country. Documents in a foreign language must be translated by a certified public translator (Traductor Publico Nacional).

Diplomats and military personnel can obtain the necessary documents for import from the Argentinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Does anybody have any experience with bringing a motorcycle into BA? I have a DNI, perm address and work visa. I'm just unsure on how to navigate the entire process. Below is what I found on the internet but I am searching for somebody that has been through this process before. I found this information below.

I don't think anyone has ever asked this question before or posted about actually doing it.

As you well know, the "information below" in your post is about importing a car.

I entered "importing a motorcycle into Argentina" in a google search and found this:

How To Ship Your Motorcycle To Or From Argentina
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
  • Average motorcycle shipping costs to Argentina from the United States is about $1200 to $1900.
  • There have been enhancement in import duties and taxes on cars and motorcycles, so consider that when calculating the total cost
Argentina is located in the southern regions of South America and shares its borders with Bolivia, Chile, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay, while it has a long coastline on the east with South Atlantic Ocean. If you planning to stay in Argentine, for professional or personal reasons, or just intend traveling, it is best to import your own motorcycle from USA to Argentina. However, shipping internationally is a cumbersome process marred with plenty of procedures and legal formalities that have to be completed. That is why working with us is cost effective and hassle-free. We are A-1 Auto Transport and understand all aspects of shipping to Argentina and have shipped hundreds of vehicles in the last few years.

Cost of Shipping
To ship a motorcycle from the United States, you will need to determine the total cost prior to shipping. Since Argentina is a member of Mercosur, the Common External Tariff, or CET is between 0% and 20% with some vehicles or motorcycles are charged 35%. Additionally, there is 10.5% VAT or CIF is a total of 21%. You can call us and one of our shipping agents will give you a customized quote based on the specific motorcycle you own. The weight and size of the motorcycle will affect the total shipping price.

When you need to ship your motorcycle to Argentina, you have the option of shipping it on a temporary basis or doing it permanently. The laws differ and you may want to know more about it.

Temporary Permit
A temporary permit will be issued at the point of entry once in Argentina. You will first need to contact the Argentina Consulate in the United States in order to begin the procedure. The following people are allowed to import motorcycles:

• Expatriates with PR and want to move to Argentina permanently,
  • Returning citizens coming back to Argentina after living abroad
  • Those who have a temporary visa
  • Diplomats and members of the military
You will need to obtain a temporary visa which can be renewed as often as you need it to be. Once the visa has expired, the import permit will expire also.

Source: https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-motorcycle-to-argentina/

Ask a few international Freight Forward Companies for quotes to get the motorcycle delivered to you, including customs and other fees... they know best about Certificados de Pre embarque , etc.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. Do you know any good international freight forward companies that you would recommend?

Thanks for the advice. Do you know any good international freight forward companies that you would recommend?

Nazareno Villa Abrille
DINAMO Logistica Internacional
Av. Pte. Ramón Castillo 1720 (C1104AMU)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel: (54) 11-5354-6782
Cel.: (549) 11-3884-5221
www.dinamolog.com.ar

nikad has been a member of this group since 2006 and she has recommended Dinamo many times.

Nazareno Villa Abrille
DINAMO Logistica Internacional
Av. Pte. Ramón Castillo 1720 (C1104AMU)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel: (54) 11-5354-6782
Cel.: (549) 11-3884-5221
www.dinamolog.com.ar

nikad has been a member of this group since 2006 and she has recommended Dinamo many times.

Thank you!. I am going to contact them as I it probably is the best option.

According to Law No. 25,871 and its amendments and the Decree No. 616 of May 6, 2010, the following people may import cars:

Foreigners with permanent residency in Argentina and returning Argentinian citizens
Foreigners with a temporary visa
Diplomats and military personnel
Foreigners with Permanent Residency
Returning Argentinian citizens and foreigners with a permanent resident visa may import one used car and/or one motorcycle, and no more than two vehicles per family. The vehicle owner must be at least 21 years old and the vehicle must be registered in their name and have been used by them for at least three months prior to arrival. Permanent residency must be obtained before the vehicle arrives in Argentina. The import of new vehicles is subject to regulations - only certain makes and models may be imported.

Vehicles with a value of less than or equal to fifteen thousand dollars (U$S 15,000) or its equivalent in another currency are excempt from import duties, taxes and other contributions. If the vehicle exceeds a value of US$ 15,000, estimated costs are approximately 80 to 100 percent of the vehicle's value, which includes tax and freight.

I suggest you to really read mentioned laws and you would see that they something else and you will not see 15 00 thing etc there for sure.
These laws are migration laws, meaning in general if you are migrant you can bring some things. You should read AFIP laws , Codigo Aduanero and relative decretos to find it out, this is what important here.

1) Temporary Import Permit
You can do it if you are tourist, meaning you bring your vehicle for 3 months or so.

Proof of identity, passport with the appropriate visa or DNI (national identity document) - I have this
Foreigners with permanent residence in the country, the certification issued by the National Directorate of Migration - I have this
This is just wrong. If you bring vehicle temporarily you must be tourist, period = passport only. If you have any residence/DNI in Argentina you are not eligable for TIP at all.

2) Import
As a foreigner you can import only once. After you receive your DNI permanente you have 6 months to import whatever vehicle you want, this rules apply
it is from here http://servicios.infoleg.gob.ar/infolegInternet/anexos/180000-184999/182158/norma.htm

Legally you can import 3 months before you receive DNI permenente too, but nobody does that, because AFIP can not know in advance will you rceive really your DNI or nor and when, so they will not like to do it before, so ou have only 6 months window to do that.

Last edited:
Back