Import Tax Laws?

It's slightly possible someone may have a problem bringing the items in. I believe where the problem may lie is exactly what you're fearing, that importing items for resale are different than importing items for yourself.

A few years ago I had a similar problem with a friend of mine, but the stuff came into Argentina via courier from China. It was 10 blank circuit boards (i.e., not even a single component on the boards) we were going to use for making our own little GPS trackers (communicating to the internet via cellphone connections, long story), My friend had them shipped via FedEx and therefore the items ended up at Ezeiza. Total cost was around $50 USD. They wouldn't let us even pay the taxes because we were told that we had to have a license to import anything into the country for resale or re-manufacture.

This was well before the problems Cristina exacerbated with her import/export restrictions. Also, going through "shipping customs" at Ezeiza (as opposed to tourists bringing in something through aduana at Ezeiza) is a lot more difficult to deal with.

As to whether or not you'll have problems, it depends on how big the box is, whether they look at it or not, and whether the aduana in the airport wants to declare them as import for resale. I'd say you'd probably be alright, but one never knows...

A few years ago, I brought my nephew a high-end Macbook and was also carrying my own machine. Just in case, I removed the former from the original packaging and made some entries in my own name, ready to argue that I used it specifically for graphics and photography. As it happened, customs at Ezeiza never even blinked.

Hmm I wonder if I could argue that I'm bringing gifts for 200 of my closest friends??

Is anyone here familiar with, or part of, the murky underworld of commercial imports into Buenos Aires?

This seems to be mostly personal advice so far. I'm very interested in finding out more about the possibility of legally importing into Argentina. If not possible now, then at least I'd like to become familiar with it for when things change.

You said they are 200 hand made items, could your friend attach all of them to a long coat and come through customs wearing the latest in fashion?

Is anyone here familiar with, or part of, the murky underworld of commercial imports into Buenos Aires?

This seems to be mostly personal advice so far. I'm very interested in finding out more about the possibility of legally importing into Argentina. If not possible now, then at least I'd like to become familiar with it for when things change.

Now it involves lots of bribes. I suspect it will be the same in the future.

My connection there in Toyota Argentina once told me, before you can import anything into the land, one has to the selling before
so to earn the credits to merit the right to import.

Back