Importing After Obtaining Permanent Residency

eorl

Registered
I will be leaving for the United States at the end of this year and returning to Argentina in April. At that time I'll complete the paperwork for permanent residency. In the future, I'll continue to spend the first 4 months of the year in the USA and the rest in Argentina. I own a motorcycle where I live in Pennsylvania...which will get no use since I am only going to be there during winter months.

I was looking to import the motorcycle. I paid $6500 for it with the blue book and dealer appraisal being around the same amounts. Has anyone imported a used vehicle/motorcycle using the $15,000 exclusion after obtaining residency? Due to the brand (Harley Davidson) I saw similar motorcycles listed on mercadolibre for 20-30k dollars or over 300k pesos. I am sure that is very inflated asking prices but I wouldn't be surprised to see customs use that value rather than purchase price.

From viewing previous posts using the 15k exclusion seems more a myth than reality. If anyone has actually done it could you provide some insight or point me to a customs broker who can handle it.

From my inquiries with the Argy consulate in Milan, Italy, you can bring an evaluation from a reputable source or a local sellerin your home country and do your paperwork at the Argy consulate, but the final word is the Aduana's, and they are likely to appraise your vehicle for what is worth in Argentina, no matter what the blue book/evaluation says.

I just bought a 1973 Honda for US$661, but it would likely be appraised at US$5,000 if I tried to bring it into Argentina.

:-(

Maybe I'll send it to Uruguay and take it back and forth to Colonia.

It is not easy , but can be done. First issue is that the Moto must be titled to you at least 6 months prior to you receiving your DNI. You must get the title appostiled. Then it must be approved by your local Argentine consulate. Then you set up the shipping , and it must arrive no later than 6 months after you get your DNI. Your value exemption is US$15,000.00 They use Kelly Blue Book to determine a value , not Argentine prices.

I suggest talking to a very competent customs house broker (despachate) in Buenos Aires , to get the latest news and import laws . as they seem to change almost weekly. Better yet , ask 3 despanchates , and see how many different answers you get......

^^^ Best reply and don't discount the probability of cash under the table.

It is not easy , but can be done. First issue is that the Moto must be titled to you at least 6 months prior to you receiving your DNI. You must get the title appostiled. Then it must be approved by your local Argentine consulate. Then you set up the shipping , and it must arrive no later than 6 months after you get your DNI. Your value exemption is US$15,000.00 They use Kelly Blue Book to determine a value , not Argentine prices.

I suggest talking to a very competent customs house broker (despachate) in Buenos Aires , to get the latest news and import laws . as they seem to change almost weekly. Better yet , ask 3 despanchates , and see how many different answers you get......

Thanks. I'll try to pursue this route. I'll update the steps if it is successful or if it becomes too much of a pain.

Nooo. I always wanted that experience but I probably wouldn't even make it out of the state. Trading for a BMW, Ktm, or Japanese model could change things.

Good point, a touring bike would probably be more appropriate.
Long Way Down?

Back