Importing Car Part

Tilda

Registered
Our darling Defender 'Ernst' needs a new turbo and we are looking at having one sent from the UK or bring it back with us in the luggage when we go visit Sweden. We will also look into going to Osorno to have it replaced, but it's a long trip when you can't drive more than 50 km per hour.
My question is short, on the AFIP site is says:

El ingreso de partes y repuestos de automotores se encuentran excluidos del Régimen de Equipaje

Does this mean that I should do the import process even if I bring it myself? If I want to live within the law.

https://www.afip.gob.ar/genericos/guiavirtual/consultas_detalle.aspx?id=17559133

Yes,we are looking into all kinds of solutions. Including buying a second car. Having a 17 year old defender as the only car might not be such a good idea. Luckily we enjoy walking...

That means you cannot bring any carparts as luggage/when you return from Sweden. I would go to Osorno or Puerto Montt. 50 kph is not that bad ... enjoy the beautiful views of the X region ...

I would avoid importing anything but you probably already know that.

Generally it's always cheaper/easier to get things repaired here. Warnes in your friend for these things.

It is illegal to bring car parts over the border, you won't be able to import it yourself in a bus or other car. If you declare it, it will get taken, if you don't declare it, you eiother get a big fine and it will be taken or they won't check/see it and you will have imported it illegaly.

A dealer can import it for you, but they will have no idea when and if it comes in, could take 6 months or more. If the car can still get up paso Samore, I would just go there, or Puerto Montt or Temuco and have it fixed there. This is what I and everybody else here do(es) when needing new tires, battery etc. Make sure they have the part and check the opening times.

Generally it's always cheaper/easier to get things repaired here. Warnes in your friend for these things.

No, when you live within a few hours from Chile like Tilda and myself, it is much, much cheaper to just go there, have whatever you need fixed and replaced and come back. Eeverybody does that when they need new tires, car parts etc.

If you need a recommendation I had an excellent experience with a place in Puerto Montt where I went several times. Great work. Absolutely trustworthy. I can give you the contact details if you are interested.

No, when you live within a few hours from Chile like Tilda and myself, it is much, much cheaper to just go there, have whatever you need fixed and replaced and come back. Eeverybody does that when they need new tires, car parts etc.

I was saying cheaper to get things replaced/fixed here rather than replacing them here - not comparing Argentina to Chile. Ej: I just got my transmission repaired for 35,000. To replace it with a new transmission , it would have cost 170,000. Insanity.

Obviously if she can go to Chile and do it there for even cheaper, all the better.

Back