Importing Personal Items from the US

Adios_USA

Registered
Hello everyone,

I am in Argentina on a Rentista Visa (Temporary Residence). I have shipped all of my household goods via freighter and the container is currently in the port of BsAs. My problem is this: I entered the country on March 5th, so technically I had until the 5th of September to bring in my items but my container didn't arrive until the 15th of October and now customs is saying that they want $3000 USD in order to "look the other way and let my things through". The problem is I have already spent $8000.00 to get the stuff here. I understand that there are extensions available to get things in past the 6 months, but my Aduana does not know where to get this extension. Can anyone here please offer me some direction on where to get this extension? I cannot afford their $3000.00USD regla at this point and really need to get my stuff ASAP as the port is charging me $50 USD for each day that the container sits there. Thanks for any light you can shed on this situation.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Please send me the contact info for the customs lawyer you mentioned, I'd love to talk to him.

How's your Spanish? If you feel comfortable negotiating you can always try offering them less, like $1,000 to look the other way. But no matter what the situation totally sucks and you have my sympathies.

Back