Importing your used personal belongings to Argentina

If your future employer has a quota to employ foreigners, then also may be allowed to import their belongings. ?
If expatfromfaraway is granted temporay residency based on a work contract with a company that is approved/authorized by migraciones to employ foreigners, he will be able to import his personal belongs on a temporary basis.

If and when the temporary residency becomes permanent, the personal belongs can stay in the country permanently.

If expatfromfaraway is granted temporay residency based on a work contract with a company that is approved/authorized by migraciones to employ foreigners, he will be able to import his personal belongs on a temporary basis.

If and when the temporary residency becomes permanent, the personal belongs can stay in the country permanently.
...add "without paying import taxes/customs fees" to the end of both sentences.

Does anyone have any ideas about the following situation. I am from the USA and have a dni but do not live in Argentina. My wife is Argentinian BUT no longer has a Argentine passport, she has a dni and hers differs from mine as hers shows she is Aregentinian BUT she doesn't reside in Argentina. We spend a lot of time in country caring for her mother. If we want to bring furniture to BA what would the rules be?????

Seems it would be a furniture import! no privileges as a returning citizen after years abroad. Must contact a despachante de Aduanas to find out the status..!
Nikad on this Board has the answers.

I also recommend you not ship anything. The rules are not clear and basically they can charge you whatever they want. Instead, check with your airline and see how many bags they will allow you to check. It'll probably end up being simpler and far cheaper just to check 8 bags or so. I think you are going to cause yourself a huge headache if you try to import furniture. You'd probably be better off selling your furniture and then using the dollars to buy furniture in Argentina. That's what I'd do.

Seems it would be a furniture import! no privileges as a returning citizen after years abroad. Must contact a despachante de Aduanas to find out the status..!
Nikad on this Board has the answers.
If I understand correctly, a permanent resident or a citizen who has been out of the country for at least one year (NO visits) can import used household items (including furniture) duty free as long as the items were acquired at least six months prior to their return.

Does anyone have any ideas about the following situation. I am from the USA and have a dni but do not live in Argentina. My wife is Argentinian BUT no longer has a Argentine passport, she has a dni and hers differs from mine as hers shows she is Aregentinian BUT she doesn't reside in Argentina. We spend a lot of time in country caring for her mother. If we want to bring furniture to BA what would the rules be?????
I do not think wife's passport satus is the issue. A returning citizen who has been living outside of Argentina for at least one year (i.e. not residing in or visiting Argentin for more than 60 days during that year) should be able to bring used items (used for at least one year) into the country duty free.

However, if, as you indicated, you spend a lot of time in the country caring for your wife's mother, and that means neither you or your wife have been outside of the country for more than one full year, I seriously doubt that either of you will quality for the duty free exemption.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, a permanent resident or a citizen who has been out of the country for at least one year (NO visits) can import used household items (including furniture) duty free as long as the items were acquired at least six months prior to their return.
Based on the information in this link (if it is accurate):

It looks like iis sto be in Argentina fo up to 60 days during that year, but I don't know if multiple exits and entries are permitted during that year...

...and the must have been "used" for at least a full year.

Last edited:
Based on the information in this link (if it is accurate):

It looks like iis sto be in Argentina fo up to 60 days during that year, but I don't know if multiple exits and entries are permitted during that year...

...and the must have been "used" for at least a full year.
Great document above , however didn't see a mention of the allowed assessed total value of used household items/furniture?

Back