In Buenos Aires Again :)

BAPaul

Registered
Hello all I am in this great city again enjoying my 5th time here in the last few years. It has been kind of quiet since I arrived with many things closed due to Easter and Obama shutting down things also.
I was down near the Kirchner cultural center the other day when he arrived and his car went past about 10 metres away from me. He didn't even wave the spoil sport lol in fact it was all dark windows so for all we know it was a decoy or he is sneaked in through some underground tunnels or something.

Anyway it was a nice to take photos and videos of all the commotion and I didn't know he was here until I arrived in Argentina last Tuesday. Did any of you get out to see him? as I know there are many Americans on here but also a lot do not like him. I personally think most governments are corrupt

Busy exploring the city as I usually do and reminiscing....the prices have gone up I see due to this Macri fella ha.
I use Azimo to change my money and got £1 to 19 pesos the other day...it's usually around 19 or 20 the last few weeks.

If there is no dollar blue anymore why do the guys still shout cambio cambio on Florida? is there a better way to change my money? or shall I stay using Azimo to Argenper?

Also what do I do with my Pepsi glass bottle I have? I gather you return it for some money or when you buy another one you get money off? this is what my girl told me I think..as we do not speak each others language greatly I have to double check all unless we have google translator at hand. I think she said to take it back to the store...it was Carrefour I got it from..do I need to take the receipt also?

Well soon I will get out and about today and maybe get myself a Choripan...I sure missed those...I had one the other day in Once with a nice litre bottle of Quilmes...this is the life lol

Any other big changes to look out for as I was last here a year ago? I am lucky my Subte card still works as I got it the first time here and was just given it in the correo and did not have to fill out any forms or anything which I think is the normal

Have a nice day all and I hope to move here later this year and be an expat myself....now I am gringo turista :)

Welcome back!

As for the Pepsi bottle, some glass bottle here can be returned to the store for a discount on the next bottle purchase. Not all glass bottles are eligible, you have to look for "ENVASE RETORNABLE" printed on the label to know. You can return the empty bottle to almost any store, it hasn't to be the one where you bought it, and you don't need any receipt.
Instead, when entering the supermarket you can find a reception desk where you leave the empty bottle and they give you a small piece of paper that states how many empty bottles you have returned. Show that paper at the cashier when you check out - the cashier will apply the corresponding discount to your shopping cart. Please note that the discount is valid only for the purchase of another bottle (whatever the content), so you return an empty beer bottle only if you are buying again beer or other glass bottled drink.

Not all beer glass bottles can be returned, for example, Patagonia doesn't apply. I think it is because they use a different shaped bottle.
Glass bottled Pepsi is usually sold in small independent supermarkets. Chain supermarket sell the plastic Pepsi bottles. Not sure if they'd accept glass bottles of Pepsi.
Larger supermarkets may have an automated machine to return the bottles instead of the reception desk at the entrance. It is usually in the back of the supermarket.
Different bottles lead to different discount.

Inflation - as usual - pushed prices up, not Macri.
The dolar blu is not gone.

although the exchange rate is similar, but not identical at a bank or at a cueva, the bank still wants a citizen to prove their income, and only will exchange a government approved percentage of their monthly legal salary.

Obviously, many people cannot meet these requirements, or want to exchange more money than they are legally allowed to.

Hence, the survival of "Cambio Cambio" on Florida.
Its a hassle for tourists to change money in a bank- and a bigger hassle for most DNI holders.

I have DNI and Citybank account. I have deposited $400 on my account by converting it into pesos. I did it because I had a long day in the city and I didn't want to walk around with > 5000 pesos in my bag. No questions asked, no paperwork. But didn't like the exchage rate. It was a bit lower that the blue.

Thanks for the replies everyone, still getting used to this crazy country and I hope to move here later this year.
Just got to learn Spanish now as I have a basic level, so it can be difficult especially as people talk a 100 miles per hour. I know the 2 most important words though.... claro and si.....must hear those words thousands of times each day.

As long as you know what to do when they tell you ..... ''dame la mochila'', you should be fine ;)

Back