In defense of tourists

Jimbo said:
Well at least some of them would know now how like and feel be as an illegal Mexican on the other side of the Rio Grande....what a generous country still Argentina, considering all their problems still receiving with open arms people from every corner of the world regardless of religion, race or political affiliations.

So ridiculous...

I love baexpats and find these forums incredibly useful. They are a great shortcut for finding answers that I might not find anywhere else...or would take forever to discover on my own. Yes, I do think it is great to discover some things on your own in this country, but I personally don't need to experience a bunch of lousy Spanish tutors or bad haircuts in order to feel like I have earned my chops as a temporary resident (or whatever I am) here in Argentina.

However, I do find it discouraging when some people dig at each other through their posts. It reminds me of those horrible "comments" columns that you read on newspaper sites where people go back and forth with barely veiled insults. It's fine to have a difference of opinion and to engage in debate, but let's be generally supportive of each other and do it respectfully. I think it will be to the benefit of the generous and helpful community that has been created here. I, for one, already appreciate it greatly and I am still a "Newcomer."

Best of adventures to all of you in this crazy and amazing country...

Lee said:
I just don't get the resentment? What is it?

The "illegal immigrant" stuff is just Argentines who are upset about the hoops they have to jump through to get into certain countries. Of course, if Argentina wasn't such a corrupt place and didn't collapse politically and/or economically every decade or so then Argentines wouldn't have any problems getting into other countries. But since Argentina won't be fixing its many problems any time soon, all Argentines can do now is either accept their current place in the world or grow resentful (and there are a few who post here who have obviously chosen to grow a bit resentful).

mmoon said:
However, I do find it discouraging when some people dig at each other through their posts...

Damn hippie. :)

Illegal immigrants pay no taxes and get free medical treatment at hospitals paid for by legal residents. That is bound to annoy tax-paying suckers like myself.

ssr said:
[...] if Argentina wasn't such a corrupt place and didn't collapse politically and/or economically every decade or so then Argentines wouldn't have any problems getting into other countries. [...]

Does anyone realize that that "10 years or so" thing is about now?

I'm new to BA but it doesn't seem to have some underlying financial problem like that US sub-prime mortgage problem lurking around and being ignored. Quite the contrary, the stores seem to be busy, buildings are going up in an active, but not unusual fashion. Life seems to be good.

Am I missing something?

diplomacy said:

I'm new to BA but it doesn't seem to have some underlying financial problem like that US sub-prime mortgage problem lurking around and being ignored. Quite the contrary, the stores seem to be busy, buildings are going up in an active, but not unusual fashion. Life seems to be good.

Am I missing something?

Yes - 30% inflation, a peso that continues to drop in value, stagnant salaries, a wildly unpopular president, unemployment... shall I go on?

SaraSara said:
Illegal immigrants pay no taxes and get free medical treatment at hospitals paid for by legal residents. That is bound to annoy tax-paying suckers like myself.

I'm a legal resident, a tax paying sucker and I'm paying taxes for a pension I'll now never see. I hereby donate all my pension money to pay for the public medical costs incurred by perma-tourists.
:p

SaraSara said:

To be fair, I know several Argentine-born "legal residents" who earn their income in cash and have not paid taxes in a decade (if ever.) I say, more power to them for getting ahead, but tax evasion is not just a perma-tourist problem.

diplomacy said:

Am I missing something?

Wow. Wait, was that post a joke?

Back