in need of a hard shell suitcase - will trade ?

Heather G

Registered
I'm so excited because the US State department is buying some of my sculptures for permanent collections in their Art in Embassies program!

The catch is that I have to take them back to the States with me, so I need a hard shell suitcase with a minimum inside dimension of 70cm x 45cm x 25cm.

I don't care what condition it's in, just that is closes securely. Will trade for another type of suitcase, a backpack, really nice rolling laptop case or ....
something in my moving sale: http://movingsalebuenosaires.blogspot.com.ar/

or furniture/kitchen stuff (I haven't listed it yet but tell me what you need an I might have it, I've been here a long time and have accrued far too much stuff!)

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!

Are you familiar with the regulations regarding exportation of art from Argentina, even if you are the artist who created them?

I have posted about this in other threads and will search for them if you need more info. You need to go to Artes Visuales, then the Secretaria de Cultura, and the to the Aduana at EZE (a day before your flight) to get the permission.

You can also contact Patriciafromuruguay in the forum. She helped me when I took over 30 paintings to the USA. I seriously doubt I could have done it on my own.

Like said Steve, it can be tricky to export Art, even your own Art.

I'd add to Steve's post that the very first step is to go to Banco Ciudad, Esmeralda 660 (small door on the right of the main entrance door). There you'll get an appraisal but you can also go and ask for an advice.

steveinbsas said:
Are you familiar with the regulations regarding exportation of art from Argentina, even if you are the artist who created them?

French jurist said:
Like said Steve, it can be tricky to export Art, even your own Art.

WTF? Are you guys serious?

I admire artists. Artists have the ability to create something that others can't imagine that easily and present it as beautiful and meaningful to the rest of us (EDIT: Except when they draw a bunch of boxes. I don't think that's as cool as the rest of the stuff ;)). What right does the government have to tell artists what they can and can't do with their own creation?

What's the rationale behind these controls, does anyone know? Does the government think art essentially the property of Argentina or is it for taxation purposes? Or something else completely?

And by the way, congrats to the OP!

nicoenarg said:
WTF? Are you guys serious?

I admire artists. Artists have the ability to create something that others can't imagine that easily and present it as beautiful and meaningful to the rest of us (EDIT: Except when they draw a bunch of boxes. I don't think that's as cool as the rest of the stuff ;)). What right does the government have to tell artists what they can and can't do with their own creation?

What's the rationale behind these controls, does anyone know? Does the government think art essentially the property of Argentina or is it for taxation purposes? Or something else completely?

And by the way, congrats to the OP!

Building on another post in another thread, GOVERNMENTS DON'T HAVE RIGHTS.

ONLY INDIVIDUALS HAVE RIGHTS

GOVERNMENTS HAVE POWER...AND FAR TOO OFTEN IT IS NOT DERIVED FROM THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED!!!

The rational behind these controls is so that the "great artworks" of Argentina will not be lost to the international art market. Only Italy has more controls regarding the export of art.

As a result of the regulations, Argentine art (especially from the 20th century) is unbelievably CHEAP in Argentina (if you know where to shop).

A lithograph by Juan Manuel Sanchez sells for $1200 dollars in Canada.

In Argentina an original BY THE SAME ARTIST would sell for much less than the lithograph in Canada.

Click on my signature to see a few examples. Luis Cordiviola is considered on of the top 100 artists of Argentina in the past 200 years! I am offering two of his paintings with a base price of $2400 and one for $1800 PESOS.

And, just for fun, go to my blog www.argentineart.blogspot.com.

Click on "view my complete profile" to see additional blogs.

There is only one painting in all of them that would sell for more than $7000 pesos in Argentina.

It's the portrait of Jose Luis Menghi by Fortunado LaCamera.

A painting by Juanna Lumerman sold at a Southby's auction in 1995 for just under $7000 DOLLARS.

In Argentina today her original artworks (similar to the one sold in NYC) sell for less than $700 pesos.

PS: A "doodle" of a tree on a restaurant napkin is considered an original work of art in Argentina and is subject to the export regulations.

I'M NOT KIDDING!

steveinbsas said:
Building on another post in another thread, GOVERNMENTS DON'T HAVE RIGHTS.

ONLY INDIVIDUALS HAVE RIGHTS

GOVERNMENTS HAVE POWER...AND FAR TOO OFTEN IT IS NOT DERIVED FROM THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED!!!

The rational behind these controls is so that the "great artworks" of Argentina will not be lost to the international art market. Only Italy has more controls regarding the export of art.

As a result of the regulations, Argentine art (especially from the 20th century) is unbelievably CHEAP in Argentina (if you know where to shop).

A lithograph by Juan Manuel Sanchez sells for $1200 dollars in Canada.

In Argentina an original BY THE SAME ARTIST would sell for much less than the lithograph in Canada.

Click on my signature to see a few examples. Luis Cordiviola is considered on of the top 100 artists of Argentina in the past 200 years! I am offering two of his paintings with a base price of $2400 and one for $1800 PESOS.

Or go to my blog www.argentineart.blogspot.com.

Click on "view my complete profile" to see additional blogs.

PS: A "doodle" of a tree on a restaurant napkin is considered an original work of art in Argentina and is subject to the export regulations.

I'M NOT KIDDING!

I can only validate this. I was speaking at a conference in New Orleans 2004 and happened to walk by a gallery in the French Quarter..and I just had to go in as I was mesmorized by a painting in the window. It was by Diego Dayer, valued at 6k USD but as they mentioned he was Argentinean I returned "home" - googled art dealers in Sante Fe etc and ended up buying a larger painting at the Rural show for 6k pesos the same year. He and so many of the amazing local artists should be commanding in USD for their works with no limitations...AR work is to be shared and loved by the world. I got lucky. The govt needs to be less paranoid, less restrictive re exports and more proud of what the country can produce.

This thread was originally about finding a hard shell suitcase so Heather can safely travel with her artworks...and I hope she does.

Nonetheless, I think the issue of the restrictions on the exportation of art deserves a separate thread.

I will copy and paste one of my posts here and start a new thread.

steveinbsas said:
This thread was originally about finding a hard shell suitcase so Heather can safely travel with her artworks...and I hope she does.

Nonetheless, I think the issue of the restrictions on the exportation of art deserves a separate thread.

I will copy and paste one of my posts here and start a new thread

I

Agreed. Heather I hired an international moving company who photographed and carefully packed all my artwork and submitted details of such to the local authorities for permission to export 6 weeks before packing...I totally forgot about 2 non-descript pieces, one of which was a portrait of me by my boyfriend at uni 20 years ago. They wouldnt accept to carry it after the fact. This isn't your situation I know but just to stress they take art removal v serious here..as yours are sculptures I would be really concerned about being harassed at the airport...and congrats by the way!

wow, so much information!
first of all, thanks for all the congrats, I really appreciate it and I have to admit that I'm really excited.

I was aware of the restrictions and when they first started talking to me about the possibility of taking sculptures I did search the forum and obsessively read all the posts on exporting art.

Then I started making calls, and after talking to the department of visual arts here it seemed much easier. They told me that I just needed to fill out the forms, bring the photographs and then show them all to customs at EZE when I leave. They even said they might be able to give me an "exception" for my 600+ small drawings that I'm taking because they are mostly done in Moleskines and therefore can be counted as "work books" rather than "works of art" which means I shouldn't have to come up with double 10x13 photos and 2 forms for each one.

They also told me that if I called customs I could probably avoid going to EZE the day before and do the tramite the same day I fly... because the exit is permanent - they said that the real problem is when artwork is leaving "temporarily" because there is another complicated tramite to do when it comes back in.

No one even mentioned getting an appraisal or Banco Ciudad. Honestly, I don't know how they would appraise my work, there are no public records of sales except what I've paid in taxes (which isn't much since I've moved here because as Steve said it is very difficult to sell art here in the local market).

Heather, I did not mention the appraisal from the banco ciudad precisely because they are artworks of your own creation!

It sounds like you are on the right path.

Good luck!

Back