Income tax with temporary residency?

Fettucini

Registered
Does anyone know what income tax you must pay in Argentina on a rentista visa? Or is it not enforced?

Fettucini said:
Does anyone know what income tax you must pay in Argentina on a rentista visa? Or is it not enforced?

Yes, I agree with Steve's response to your question from another thread--basically, that it doesn't matter what type of visa you have, or whether it's temporary or permanent, you theoretically are supposed to pay Argentine income tax earned anywhere in the world. (please feel free to correct me if that's not true; my impression is that if you're a US citizen--probably lots of other countries too--that you also have to pay in the US based on your "world income"). The one catch is that if you spend less than 30 days/year in the US, you get an exemption of around US$90K.

The more interesting question, in my opinion, is how would either country ever learn about your foreign income? The US operates completely based on SSN, and I don't believe I have ever given that information to any official in Argentina--just my passport number. On the other hand, how would Argentine officials find out about income earned outside of Argentina?

Argentina doesn't only tax on world wide income but on world wide assets. If you own a home in the US you would pay AR (I think) 1.25% of its value annually which is about what I pay Washington state in property taxes right now. So a doubling of property taxes if everything is in the white. I can't afford to get my residency.

elclandestino said:
The US is the only that taxes their citizens abroad

There is a $90,000 IRS exemption for US citizans on earned income in foreign countries, but isn't the question about whether or not Argentina collects taxes from foreigners with temporary resident visas?

The answer is certainly yes for those working en blanco in Argentina, but otherwise there hasn't been an agressive collection policy that I know of and proof of tax payments on foreign income in is not a requirement to renew a temporary visa or even cambio to permanente.

toulouse said:
On the other hand, how would Argentine officials find out about income earned outside of Argentina?

When you go for the rentista visa you have to show you have a minimal monthly income of around US$2,000 being sent from an investment from outside Argentina and give details of what it is.
Not sure if they'd make you pay the income tax when paying bienes personales, or on selling your property, but sounds like not for the moment so hope it stays that way.

Back