Independent names best bars in the world

Yeah several years ago.. it was kind of cool. Enter in a flower shop, and then the door goes down some stairs to the bar.

This place has been around for years. While the "hidden entry" experience is kind of interesting (unless it is a weekend the hoardes of people waiting outside to get in give it away, making it feel like a tourist trap) the drinks and food are completely average by comparison with other higher end bars in BA. Nice to go once, but not really the kind of place that leaves you longing to return...

Going by the rest of that click-bait list, it seems having a hidden entry is enough to impress their "judges".

originally, it was pretty good- ten years or so ago. Simpler times, less competition.
But the team that made it good has long since left- the creative bartender, and chef, went on to create La Caniceria, Nino Gordo, Chori, Bar Paquito, and other restaurants and bars here, as well as in Rosario and La Plata, and are currently building a new Nino Gordo in Miami. They also have projects in Mexico City.
I am not much of a bar guy, myself.

Yes, I remember that place too. Pretty overrated. Funny that it would show up on any list now.

Spurred on by the glowing references in this thread, tonight I went to this establishment, one of the world's top 50 bars.

There were approximately ten other customers. My companion and I sat down. Before we had even scanned the QR code to see the drinks menu, the waitress appeared ready to take our order. We pointed out that we would need to read the menu before ordering. She withdrew. Approximately one minute later she was back. Since it wasn't my companion's first time, she knew what she wanted. I promised the waitress that by the time she returned with my companion's drink, I would have made my decision. She withdrew. Twenty minutes later she returned with my companion's drink. As she shaped to withdraw again, I reminded her of my pledge and said I was now ready to order. A little surprised, she took my order and withdrew. Forty minutes later my companion's glass was empty but my drink was yet to arrive. Noticing the empty glass, the waitress returned and asked if we would like anything else. After I pointed out that we were still waiting for the second half of the first round, she expressed surprise and went looking for my drink. When she returned with it she apologised for the delay and said the drink was on the house. She withdrew and I placed a bet with my companion that when the bill eventually came, it would include the supposedly free drink. I finished my drink, and we asked for another round. The second round was delivered in a more timely fashion. At its conclusion, we asked for the bill. It duly arrived. And I won the bet.

When she returned with it she apologised for the delay and said the drink was on the house.

Although the "free" drink was finally included in the bill, the fact that they even offered it is very surprising and, at least in my experience, extremely uncommon in Argentina. So that's a point for them. I've only seen free stuff being offered when something really bad happens, such as a piece of hard metal is in your drink, which happened to me.

For what it's worth, I also went to Florería Atlántico in like 2013/14 and thought it was pretty bad. It was packed, though.

I'll agree thst it incredible that she even offered to comp the drink. Most screw ups by wait staff here end up costing you like it was your fault.

To me it's easier just pay the extra fee and move along with my day. It's not worry the stress and time to try explain how they messed up.

Although the "free" drink was finally included in the bill, the fact that they even offered it is very surprising and, at least in my experience, extremely uncommon in Argentina. So that's a point for them. I've only seen free stuff being offered when something really bad happens, such as a piece of hard metal is in your drink, which happened to me.
The only other free beverage I ever had was in La Boca when I got to the bottom of a very strange tasting coffee and found a cigarette butt in the dregs. On that occasion, I presented the evidence and informed them I wouldn't be paying

Maybe its just my karma, but I have been comped a fair amount of stuff over the years in Argentine restaurants- the occasional apertif, a desert, once an entire very large steak. Usually its because we are return customers, but not always. Depends on the place, of course- this usually happens in smaller, owner or chef operated places.

Back