Inflation Examples

irina said:
I have been working at a company for two years and while inflation has regularly increased my cost of living, my salary has remained stagnant making each month a little bit harder to get by. Our boss lives in the States and doesn't really believe that inflation is as exaggerated as it really is. I am trying to make a presentation to show him specific examples so he will at least understand where me and my coworkers are coming from. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some of your experiences? Your insurance price increases in the past year? Meat Prices? Chicken? Tomatos? Anything that you specifically saw?

Personally my gym membership is what stresses me the most! A year ago I paid 135 a month and now it's at 195 a month! What has been hardest on you all with prices?

Are you going to ask him how much HIS costs have gone up here? Just curious. And it seems that a gym membership is a luxury not many in the city can afford...you must not be doing too bad. Maybe lose the 195 per month gym costs and go run in the park...then you'll have an extra 200 pesos to play with :)

That being said, inflation here is 100% out of control and there should be some reasonable reflection in your compensation. Especially after 2 years. However, don't go expecting a 30% increase.

Assuming it's a decent gym, US$50 is cheap for a month's membership. This is not to say inflation is not a serious problem, but BA is still not that expensive if you are an expat living on a foreign income/currency.

tomedison said:
Assuming it's a decent gym, US$50 is cheap for a month's membership. This is not to say inflation is not a serious problem, but BA is still not that expensive if you are an expat living on a foreign income/currency.

Unless you're from New York or DC where there is limited space, and as a result inflated real estate prices, US$50 is not a cheap gym membership from an american perspective. I would say it's middle of the road.

A 24 hour fitness membership in Los Angeles, which offers access to all 24 hour gym fitness gym's in the greater metro area (including the Super Sport gyms, which are much larger and include more services, such as free towels) currently runs about US$44.

Gym memberships in Buenos Aires are not cheap . And with inflation its a real kicker. My gym membership was AR$180 month to month in June of last year. Today it's AR$216 with a three month sign up. Month to month is about 10 pesos more. A US$10 membership hike in less than a year with no added benefits or services....that's mind boggling to me.

As someone mentioned, a gym membership is indeed a luxury and now I'm beginning to understand why patrons sign up for 1 year contracts!

I'll make it short to ease your boss reading :

Indeed the true inflation here turns around 25/30% per year.
The official inflation is less than that because governmental bonds are indexed upon the official inflation, and, of course, the local Office for National Statistics is controlled by the government.

All the service/food/utility prices indeed are raising by 25/30% per year.
For rents, the curve since 2003 (when I arrived here) is more asymptotic.

So, all in all, if an expat employee here doesn't get raises of a minimum of 25/30% per year, he/she starts losing on his/her income. That's a proven fact for which the issues are raised quite often here, with many expats in such a situation preparing to pack to come back home.

tomedison said:

I pay US$49/YEAR to renew my 24 Hour Fitness membership in the States. I pay over half of that each month here, because I buy three months at a time and get a discount. And my gym is crap.

Yes, I paid a big chunk up front in the States for 3 years, but it was around US$900. So let's say US$300/yr. I still pay almost more than that by a long shot here getting the discount and with a crappy gym with only one location rather than locations all around the Southwestern part of the US. (And yes, I HAVE used them all across the Southwestern part of the US.)

It's getting ridiculous here.

irina said:
Personally my gym membership is what stresses me the most! A year ago I paid 135 a month and now it's at 195 a month! What has been hardest on you all with prices?
I only noticed this because of the above debate.

Find yourself a club. I am a member of Club de Gymnasia & Esgrima in Mendoza, cost AR$ 60/month for all facilities (list of which is 2 pages) except use of gym machines which is +$15/month (gym instructor included) and except the olympic size indoor swimmingpool which is +$20/month. No doubt Mendoza is cheaper than BsAs but there must be clubs - where you can also make a lot of Argentino friends.

Yep, 50 dollars is not cheap compared to London either, where monthly memberships start at 25 pounds a month (40 dollars).

All services that are designed to make you feel better are now starting to feel highely priced in Buenos Aires . One example for me are the Spas of Buenos Aires many of these are in historic buildings like the Castelar Hotel on Plaza del Mayo.
Now this place in 2005 was 27 pesos entrance fee now in 2011 its 99 pesos close to 4 times dearer.

Chiropatric treatments,massage treatments are now running at 150 pesos minimum in most places.

Now to eat well and organic is a way to go broke in Buenos Aires with prices that are unjustified for local produce. There is a store on my corner a Armenian deli that serves nuts and produce that is fundamental for middle eastern cooking as well as being healthy. I walked in today and literally did a double take at the prices I saw 120 pesos for almonds per kilo. 420 pesos per kilo for pine nuts. These products are from Mendoza !!!

Back