Inflation Examples

Right after the crisis, in 2001, a bottle of one liter of beer costed $1, now the same bottle costs $12.

Back in 2001, with $100 you were able to fill up a cart at the supermarket, now you only get a small bag at the sumpermarket with the same amount of money.

But I think the OD asked for examples of inflation in the last year. I had spoken to foreigners visiting this country that cant connect the fact that the economy is growing and there is inflation.

I think you can show to your boss (if this thread is not too old) the articles from the newspapers talking about the union's requests.

Maybe I did error in posting on this thread. Guess my point is to wonder why the 20% premium. Spot price for LNG is about US $10.00. Argentine Government is paying US$ 12.70 to US$ 13.88. Guess this foreigner will never understand.

Davidglen77 said:
600 ml coca-cola last february (año 2010)$3,50..............now $5,00
Docena de Huevos last February (año 2010)$4,00............now $6,00
Jamón Cocido last february 100gr (año 2010)$3,00...........now $4,50
Queso de maquina 100gr (sliced cheese año 2010)$2,50....now $4,00
Nafta Regular last february (año 2010) $3,75 lt............... now $4,75
Hope this helps

Update fast forward 1 MONTH.......
600 ml coca-cola last february (año 2010)$3,50..............now $6,00
Docena de Huevos last February (año 2010)$4,00............now $6,50
Jamón Cocido last february 100gr (año 2010)$3,00...........now $5,50
Queso de maquina 100gr (sliced cheese año 2010)$2,50....now $4,50
Nafta Regular last february (año 2010) $3,75 lt............... now $5,15
It's getting worse.......

gouchobob said:
It's official there is no inflation. The people who say there is are just trying to trick people into making bad financial decisions, according to the government.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703899704576204750896510440.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

I am troubled by the implications of the fines being levied against the independent sources of inflation information. Is this a trial balloon by the government? If nobody complains that much maybe next week it will be fines against newspapers, radio and TV stations, that print or air anything the government deems false or incorrect. How can the government fine these people for stating the obvious truth? If they can make the fines stick there are some serious issues in Argentina with basic civil liberties under this government.

I second this website:

http://www.inflacionverdadera.com/

It has good graphs and shows the increases on individual goods, etc. Also, as a point of comparison, my boyfriend's company increases about 10% twice every year to account for inflation. He doesn't make like, oodles of cash but his company stays on top of inflation.

Calvi: Café Colombiana ¼ kg
2009 MAR: AR$ 15.00
2011 MAR: AR$ 26.25

sketchyblueeyes said:
I second this website:

http://www.inflacionverdadera.com/

It has good graphs and shows the increases on individual goods, etc. Also, as a point of comparison, my boyfriend's company increases about 10% twice every year to account for inflation. He doesn't make like, oodles of cash but his company stays on top of inflation.

Yeah most companies do -- unfortunately it is yet another case of the INDEC working against you -- companies will increase according to INDEC's rate, despite the actual inflation felt in the pocket of the employee is much higher.

If you're getting paid by HR in another country they also like the INDEC -- which usually means you end up having to really fight for them to understand that offering a woohoo 7% increase on your salary doesn't even come close to being a raise once inflation is factored in...

A small piece of intended to be constructive advice (if you want it.) Increases come about either because employees are adding increased value or by the cost of labor going up. While there is inflation in goods and services, I don't believe there is a similar trend in cost of labor in Argentina (correct me if I'm wrong.) While making a case for inflation may not hurt your chances for an increase, you'll have a much better argument for the increase if you can demonstrate increased value for what it that you do. Lead with that argument rather than the cost of the gym membership. Ideally be able to show that you could make more elsewhere (even more ideal with an offer in hand). I realize this is harder to do. Good luck!

Davidglen77 said:
Update fast forward 1 MONTH.......
600 ml coca-cola last february (año 2010)$3,50..............now $6,00
Docena de Huevos last February (año 2010)$4,00............now $6,50
Jamón Cocido last february 100gr (año 2010)$3,00...........now $5,50
Queso de maquina 100gr (sliced cheese año 2010)$2,50....now $4,50
Nafta Regular last february (año 2010) $3,75 lt............... now $5,15
It's getting worse.......

You guys are amazing gathering this data...Moreno will be on your trail!

Following NickF approach, try to mix our data with info coming from sources like the financial times or the economist, for instance.

Back