Inflation Forces Argentines To Shop In Chile

chris

Registered
http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/10/11/inenglish/1476187795_578434.html

My friends in Bariloche have shopped in Chile for forever...better prices, better quality and more access to imports. I even find myself shopping in Chile when I visit them! Argentina used to make things of much better quality, particularly clothes and shoes (I remember when Pima cotton and supple leather were the norm) and it's sad that it's now almost all cheap, sweatshop labor junk. I even find better leather in other places now...too much of that plasticky stuff around BA these days.

My friends in Bariloche have shopped in Chile for forever...better prices, better quality and more access to imports. I even find myself shopping in Chile when I visit them! Argentina used to make things of much better quality, particularly clothes and shoes (I remember when Pima cotton and supple leather were the norm) and it's sad that it's now almost all cheap, sweatshop labor junk. I even find better leather in other places now...too much of that plasticky stuff around BA these days.

When Argentines come back wwith boxes of widescreen tvs and even washing machines dont they get taxed when re-entering Argentina?

When Argentines come back wwith boxes of widescreen tvs and even washing machines dont they get taxed when re-entering Argentina?

It's still cheaper paying the Chilean and Argy Taxes when coming back over. At least it was a few years ago when i looked it up on tv's.

Some Argies believe that because imports in Chile are much cheaper, due to the lower duties, living there must be cheaper which isn't the case . Rents and food are about the same or more expensive.

Chileans don't have the high Argentine inflation factor to deal with though.
Chilean inflation is scheduled to end 2016 at only 3.5%
The Core Consumer Price rate which includes some food prices fell 0.1% in September.
This makes a very big difference in your day to day and forward planning spending estimates.

Argentina used to make things of much better quality, particularly clothes and shoes (I remember when Pima cotton and supple leather were the norm) and it's sad that it's now almost all cheap, sweatshop labor junk. I even find better leather in other places now...too much of that plasticky stuff around BA these days.

I don't buy any clothing here unless I have to which rarely happens. I'm not prepared to pay silly prices for the quality you get. A trip to the UK every couple of years with our shopping list does us. The substantial savings made goes a long way to subsiding the cost of the trip.

When friends ask me what they should buy here I now find it almost impossible to recommend anything. Even buying wine to take back to the UK isn't worth the hassle.

I don't buy any clothing here unless I have to which rarely happens. I'm not prepared to pay silly prices for the quality you get. A trip to the UK every couple of years with our shopping list does us. The substantial savings made goes a long way to subsiding the cost of the trip.

When friends ask me what they should buy here I now find it almost impossible to recommend anything. Even buying wine to take back to the UK isn't worth the hassle.

Prices are going to go up in the UK I'm afraid thanks to Brexit. Dulce de leche and mate make the most sense. Carrying heavy fragile bottles of wine back to the UK? Not my idea of fun. You can already easily choose from a great range of decent nicely priced Argentine wine in the UK (for now at least)

I just got back from the US. Brought a good electric can opener. Licorice. Cotton workshirts. Computer stuff. Shoes. Tshirts. Much cheaper than here. And much much better quality.

Inflation is the devil re-incarnate for an economy. This country is going no where until they sort it out and get it under 5% even if it means a recession. The system is inherently fucked and for the long term stability this country needs a clean 'restart'. Short term pain, long term gain.

Back