Inflation here and there

Redpossum

Registered
I will apologize for posting a video from Fox. It's Tucker, who is the least offensive of their hosts, and I have cued it up to the meaningful part, skipping the first two minutes of political BS. The part I have cued up is pretty much all numbers on inflation and costs.

I am amused at the quote around the three minute mark of 6.34 USD for a pound of hamburger in LA.

I was at the carnicero here in microcentro last night. I bought a half-kilo of the relatively cheap cut called "roast beef", and had him make ground beef with it. It was 1100 pesos a kilo. If you divide that 1100 pesos by 190 (pesos per dollar) you get 5.79 dollars per kilo, and then divide that result by 2.2 (pounds in a kilo) to get a final result of 2.63 USD per pound.

Now, let us remember that back in the land of the big PX, "hamburger" is defined by USDA as up to 30% fat. Here in BsAs, the butcher trimmed most of the fat off the beef I bought before running it through the meatgrinder, and I'd estimate the fat content was no more than 10%, or maybe 12%; which is actually a little less than I prefer, the meat comes out dry with too little fat. But let's round it up and say it was 15%

So, 6.34 USD per pound for American hamburger with 30% fat.
And 2.63 USD per pound for Argentine carne picada with 15% fat.

(I once made the mistake of asking my butcher to make ground beef for me with bife de chorizo and he shouted at me in outrage. I haven't done that again)

So we are paying 41% of the US price for a vastly superior product. But it's till far, far closer than it used to be. I usually expect AR prices to be around 20% of their US equivalent, with the obvious exception of consumer electronics and other tech goods.

Obviously, there are comments to be made about relative prices. No doubt LA is an expensive place. OTOH, I am shopping downtown, which ain't cheap relative to other non-Palermo parts of the city.

So, my friends, what do you think about all this?

Excellent investigation... However ....Not everybody has Greenbacks..! in hand.

So for others the official dollar rate prevails..!! Must adjust your 2.63 USD per pound . 2.63 x (190:108) = 4,62 USD aprox...

Excellent investigation... However ....Not everybody has Greenbacks..! in hand.

So for others the official dollar rate prevails..!! Must adjust your 2.63 USD per pound . 2.63 x (190:108) = 4,62 USD aprox...

I'm not sure I understand, my friend. I was quoting 190 as an approximate WU rate. Anyone can use Western Union.

Actual cash dollars, or "greenbacks in hand" are not something I would part with over hamburger. I have only a few, and I'm diamondhand HODLganger with those.

I'm not sure I understand, my friend. I was quoting 190 as an approximate WU rate. Anyone can use Western Union.

Actual cash dollars, or "greenbacks in hand" are not something I would part with over hamburger. I have only a few, and I'm diamondhand HODLganger with those.

Sorry Red, to use Western Union one must have dollars in a foreign Account . IMHO I mentioned "in hand" as an euphemism.
Hope you understand.

the beef here is great, no question. and comparing prices of high dollar steaks here to the US, the value here is incredible.

that said, i'm from texas, and we have great beef there too. and BBQ :)

I will apologize for posting a video from Fox. It's Tucker, who is the least offensive of their hosts, and I have cued it up to the meaningful part, skipping the first two minutes of political BS. The part I have cued up is pretty much all numbers on inflation and costs.

I am amused at the quote around the three minute mark of 6.34 USD for a pound of hamburger in LA.

I was at the carnicero here in microcentro last night. I bought a half-kilo of the relatively cheap cut called "roast beef", and had him make ground beef with it. It was 1100 pesos a kilo. If you divide that 1100 pesos by 190 (pesos per dollar) you get 5.79 dollars per kilo, and then divide that result by 2.2 (pounds in a kilo) to get a final result of 2.63 USD per pound.

Now, let us remember that back in the land of the big PX, "hamburger" is defined by USDA as up to 30% fat. Here in BsAs, the butcher trimmed most of the fat off the beef I bought before running it through the meatgrinder, and I'd estimate the fat content was no more than 10%, or maybe 12%; which is actually a little less than I prefer, the meat comes out dry with too little fat. But let's round it up and say it was 15%

So, 6.34 USD per pound for American hamburger with 30% fat.
And 2.63 USD per pound for Argentine carne picada with 15% fat.

(I once made the mistake of asking my butcher to make ground beef for me with bife de chorizo and he shouted at me in outrage. I haven't done that again)

So we are paying 41% of the US price for a vastly superior product. But it's till far, far closer than it used to be. I usually expect AR prices to be around 20% of their US equivalent, with the obvious exception of consumer electronics and other tech goods.

Obviously, there are comments to be made about relative prices. No doubt LA is an expensive place. OTOH, I am shopping downtown, which ain't cheap relative to other non-Palermo parts of the city.

So, my friends, what do you think about all this?
Least offensive???? Ojala hables en broma...

I was just reading the latest US inflation study.
The Average house in the USA went up in value $52,000 in the last 12 months.
I live near Seattle, when I am in the US.
The average house in Seattle went up in value $132,000 in the last 12 months.
THAT is inflation.
Argentina aint seen nothing.
My apartment in Argentina went up about zero dollars in value in the last 12 months.
The actual on the ground inflation in the US dwarfs any argentine figures, be it for food, public transport, consumer goods, rent, utilities, health care, or pretty much anything else.

My apartment in Buenos Aires went down about thirty percent in the last two years. Worse luck.

Back