Inflation Wingers Post Here!

CarverFan

Registered
Since my other thread about price rises (chicken nuggets) has been hijacked by people interested in ethical farming, I've created a new thread for people who just want to moan about prices without having their psyches analysed or their choices criticised.

Everything is going up up up, so buy it now - yes it's expensive but it's still cheaper than tomorrow!!

LOL - I guess I'm one of them since I went on a rant last night after listening to yet another person here on vacation discuss it being so cheap. :rolleyes:

I'd be curious to know what adjustments people are making in their lifestyles (if any) because of inflation?

Off the top of my head
I don't buy Diet Coke anymore. We're now drinking the generic Cunnington brand I buy at Makro. 1/2 the price for a case of 6 2 liter bottles.

When something is on sale, I buy in bulk. Huge quantities and then it goes in the freezer.

I never buy frozen food anymore (like the pizza or nuggets;)). Everything is made by hand.

I don't keep any money in pesos except some spending money. Savings (well the part in cash) is in dollars.

I definitely comparison shop now. And am all about the specialty stores - granja/carniceria for meat, vegetable stand for veggies, paper product store for napkins, paper towels, etc. I almost never go to Carrefour/Jumbo et al.

I buy a lot more things in the US and bring them back with me. In fact, with the holidays coming up, I'm thinking of taking a shopping trip to the US. Which seems crazy but probably will wind up saving me money.

The only adjustment I've really made is the vast amount of extra time I now spend whinging. I do make a lot of stuff myself (which I've always really had to do because of lack of availability) but most stuff is just beyond me (I spent a couple of hours last week studying mozzarella making online!) and the price of raw ingredients (meat, vegetables, milk, butter, etc) is just as through-the-roof as pre-packaged stuff so even making a meal from scratch isn't cheap. we save a lot of money making our own cakes now though.
I do shop around a bit more. I used to rely heavily on the chino but drag myself over to coto (short bus ride away) for snacks, packets of olives, condiments, pasta, chocolate, etc now as prices aren't going up as quickly there. I still buy wine at the chino and last-minute things. I've always shopped at the verduleria but will now price check the three closest to me.
If something seems too expensive (I wanted to buy a small bottle of water at a kiosco in the arse-end of Chacarita the other day, and the owner wanted to charge 4.50!) I just do without. I secretly hope that refusing to buy something sends a message that people can't put up with this shiz! I do without a lot!!
I'm also planning an end of year trip home to stock up (clothes, sheets, books, bath products, colemans mustard!). I can imagine that for most families, it's probably cheaper to send a member abroad to buy things like that in bulk x1 per year than it is to shop here.

Since 2003, I adapted a lot here.

Housing :
- Initially rented some kind of last floor penthouse, 5 rooms, 50 sq. meters terrace, at the border of Recoleta --> Was 1.200 pesos back in 2003 (now I guess this place rents for 5/6.000 pesos). (Also, back in 2003, a dinner in a parrilla de barrio for two with a bottle of Château Vieux was costing 17 pesos back then... lol! Now it would be 220/250 pesos minimum!).
- I've moved now to a house in the great BA, some of the reasons being the reduced costs (other reasons : dogs, divorce, etc.) --> Paying 3.000 pesos for a two floor house (badly built though) with a big garden (2 acres 1/2) and a big pool. That way my dogs are happy, no need for a paseador, can park freely motorcycle/car, etc.

Food :
- I don't avoid Jumbo at all costs but I take advantage of the many promos (at least in Pilar, Jumbo runs a few monthly promotions, like a 100% cashback on certain products, etc.) so I'll buy there the washing powder, toilet paper, packs of water/coke (not a significant difference from other places + the promotions are quite attractive for as long as you come to buy certain things only). For instance, it would be ridiculous to buy fruits & such at Jumbo (crazy prices) --> oddest thing is that the frozen vegetables produced in Argentina sell at Jumbo for about the same price as the "Bonduelle" brand (French vegetables, grown in France and imported here : better quality control, no bad surprises with GMOs, etc.) = Something does not compute here...

- Vegetables/fruits : small Bolivian shop (last year, they were selling Rucula for like 1 or 1.50 peso a pack while it was nearly 10 pesos for the same quantity at Jumbo!).

- Meat : local butcher in a small & poor village (Manuel Alberti). Meat is damn great. Owners know me and cut the meat the French way for me. They don't buy the meat from Mercado Central but rather directly from local small producers. Bife de chorizo (top quality really) = 31 or 32 pesos per kilo (Bife de chorizo is a cut close to what we call in France Cote de bœuf and this latter cut in France costs likely around 20/25 Euros/100-130 ARS per kilo now = furthermore most of the cows we eat in France are usually the ones that served to produce milk the years before and that got too old, it's not like here where they raise cows to be specifically eaten, miummy!). Also they sell like 30 or 36 eggs for 9 pesos.

- Clothes : I buy NOTHING here, I'm waiting to go to France (cheaper, better quality furthermore I'm tall & skinny unlike most of the Argentineans so it's often tricky to find the right size). Same for shoes (anyway, I'm like 46/47 Eur shoe size so it's also tricky to find those sizes in stores).

- Electronics : it's good enough for me to use what was the best about 18/24 months ago. I buy those here, the price difference does not justify importing from abroad.

All in all, Argentina is still way much cheaper than France for me. And let's be honest, I benefited a lot from the years 2003/2007 here (in terms of cost of living) so if life is getting more expensive now, fine with me, like we say in France "on ne peut avoir le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le cul de la crémière" (hard to translate ;-p... Like said a great philosopher : You can't always get what you want / And if you try sometime you find /You get what you need).

In terms of adaptation to the inflation, I also changed a lot the way I make my living & I sincerely can't complain : I can work in a bathing suit, nearby my pool, with my dogs playing around, I can say I'm happy with what I have!

There are so many opportunities in Argentina, furthermore it's a generous country acting as an example on quite many subjects, we are quite lucky to live here imho (and let's not forget to give back too like many of us do).

Te quiero Argentina!

Ha, ha, yes I meant whingers, now it looks like I'm winging it! Thanks for all your interesting posts...

, like we say in France "on ne peut avoir le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le cul de la crémière"

This is a more beautiful way of saying "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch". and it's so true. Bravo! La belle dame bleue est sur le point d'arriver à passer sa vie à Jerez avec nous!:)

Back