Inflation Outrage!

Ugi´s just raised their Grande de Muzzarella from 10 pesos to 12! That´s an increase os 20%!!!!! Outrageous!!

Imagine if prices in the US went up 20% at a time? People would get pissed off and go somewhere else. ...I guess there really is nowhere else cheaper than Ugi´s. :( They can do whatever they want! :p

Agree totally with MJK about the price of sushi. Also, there is basically no selection: salmon or salmon or salmon ,,,,and the price is absurd. If I see another sushi roll of salmon with cream cheese, I am going to barf...

KatharineAnn said:
Ugi´s just raised their Grande de Muzzarella from 10 pesos to 12! That´s an increase os 20%!!!!! Outrageous!!

Imagine if prices in the US went up 20% at a time? People would get pissed off and go somewhere else. ...I guess there really is nowhere else cheaper than Ugi´s. :( They can do whatever they want! :p

20%! Volta only went up 10%. I feel better now....
:)

I love how Ugi's is used as a means to casually gauge the rate of inflation. Argentina must be the only place in the world outside Zimbabwe which has such high inflation. Inflation is a tricky thing to pin down, especially so in Argentina. Is there a generally large increase in wages going on? That can cause inflation. Also is there any decent competition in the utilities sector?

MJK said:
Cordoba y Thames on the Palermo side (give or take a block on cordoba)

Dang! That's not near me, but I'll put it on the list to check out some time.

its 4 blocks from me. Sweet! Will be checking that place in 2 weeks time when I am back!

Conorworld said:
I love how Ugi's is used as a means to casually gauge the rate of inflation. Argentina must be the only place in the world outside Zimbabwe which has such high inflation.

Try living in Venezuela, living with inflation superior to 35% a year, deep frozen pizzas at 12 USD. :D

When I came here a cup of coffee was a standard $1,50 pesos. Patio Bullrich charged $2,50 which I thought took real chutzpah. Prices in general have soared like the price of coffee while wages have been relatively stagnant.

When I first traveled to Argentina, in 2005, a little bottle of water in the kiosko near my house (in Palermo, on Scalabrini Ortiz) was about 50-75 centavos. In 2007, it was about 1.50. Now, 2.50-3 pesos.

I see inflation the most in these basic goods and services. Another example-- laveraps used to charge 8-10 pesos/load. Now the ones in my neighborhood are charing 14-16 pesos/load.

Kind regards,
Jenn

Conorworld said:
I love how Ugi's is used as a means to casually gauge the rate of inflation. Argentina must be the only place in the world outside Zimbabwe which has such high inflation. Inflation is a tricky thing to pin down, especially so in Argentina. Is there a generally large increase in wages going on? That can cause inflation. Also is there any decent competition in the utilities sector?

Welcome to Argentina, the land of contradictions.

Down to your your questions:

1) No wages increase AFAIK.

2) No REAL competition on utilities, there's a monopoly: you can't choose your gas / electricity provider. Regarding cell phone companies, they are a rip off and generally speaking, customer service is non existent.

If I remember correctly, during 1985 we had periods of 35% inflation...PER MONTH.

People used to get their salaries and rushed to buy "durable" goods to keep their money value, electronics for example.

Back