Inflation Outrage!

KatharineAnn said:
My electric just came yesterday - 28 pesos for 2 months. I don´t think that´s too bad considering my boyfriend is a freeze baby and has the electric heater blasting 24/7.

But to those of you who are translating cost of living into dollars, euros, or pounds...it really means absolutely nothing when you do this. Okay, so the absolute value of things is lower, but if you earn pesos, you earn pesos. Y punto. 100 pesos for a shirt is OUTRAGEOUS if you are one of the many, many, many poor slucks (myself included) who are making a modest peso salary. Just had to throw that out there. Buenos aires is expensive!!

Of course, but this is an expat site where most members earn dollars euros or sterling, and I still maintain for them it is cheap. Trying to keep up with inflation is difficult and anyone on a peso salary will find it hard. My point as always is about those who earn their income outside Argentina, how can you complain, when comparing your relative incomes with the locals.

Very interesting about them trying to pad the vote with delaying the bills...guess they are worried they didn't buy enough votes! Yes, the electric bill isn't bad, yet, that's my concern. And frankly it's just not the utilities...it's everything...food and non-food items. I understand having to raise prices from year to year..but here there's no logical number...one goes 400 percent...one goes 300 percent ...crazy!!!
Our gas bill last time was 370 pesos! 144 was the actual bill the rest TAXES!!! So tell me what will it be in July and August when we have to turn the heat on??? With the system they have now for figuring out your bill you are taxed again on the last 6 billing cycles!! And IF you went over the numbers they feel are normal usage you pay more! We went to the gas company and even the girl there said the figures that were set up are impossible to stay within...so we got hit with more taxes as we are being punished for using heat last July and August when it was cold!! How insane is that to be taxed AGAIN for something you already paid for and were taxed for...so wrong and illegal! This is the same system they are going to for the electric ...so if you had the A/C blasting last Summer you will be paying for it again and again!!!

tangobob said:
Of course, but this is an expat site where most members earn dollars euros or sterling, and I still maintain for them it is cheap. Trying to keep up with inflation is difficult and anyone on a peso salary will find it hard. My point as always is about those who earn their income outside Argentina, how can you complain, when comparing your relative incomes with the locals.

Exactly. The next time Joe Schmoe comes on here to whine and cry about inflation in Argentina when he´s making 3000 dollars a month he needs a good spanking.

It´s fine that people come here with savings, outside incomes, or great jobs and live more fabulous lives here than in their own countries, but it´s just irritating when they complain about prices as if it were their god-given right to live like kings in this country. Really, it´s not, and everyone should just be thankful for what they have - and be grateful that Argentina lets them come here to live like Kings!!

KatharineAnn said:
Exactly. The next time Joe Schmoe comes on here to whine and cry about inflation in Argentina when he´s making 3000 dollars a month he needs a good spanking.

It´s fine that people come here with savings, outside incomes, or great jobs and live more fabulous lives here than in their own countries, but it´s just irritating when they complain about prices as if it were their god-given right to live like kings in this country. Really, it´s not, and everyone should just be thankful for what they have - and be grateful that Argentina lets them come here to live like Kings!!

This is a very weird post. For years the travel media has been promoting Argentina and Buenos Aires in particular as a very "cheap" vacation and/or living (including retirement) destination. So, foreigners come here with a solid preconceived notion of how expensive or inexpensive life is going to be. You really can´t blame foreigners for thinking that things will be much less expensive than they are (of course, it depends on your lifestyle). Because, they have read over and over again what a "bargain" Buenos Aires is. People complain because they come here thinking that their money is going to stretch much farther than it really does. If people had a more accurate picture in their mind of realistic costs than I don´t think you would see most of the complaining that you do.

I think this post is long overdue....the prices have been going up for the past year or more and most everyone has been poo pooing it, and that this is still a cheap place to live.

And when someone says their utilities are cheap...you need to compare apples to apples....a smaller one bedroom apartment will not be the same as a 2 bedroom home. And from what I understand and/or heard...the North area of BA..i.e., La Lucila, Martinez, San Isidro...pay a higher rate...don't have proof of this...but was told by a local business woman that works as a book keeper for many North end familys.

Well the tides are turning..and inflation is inflation and every time you turn around prices are going up! It is out of control!! I was looking at our health care and January of 2008 we paid 680 per month now it's over 1100!!!

So as the previous poster said...the truth needs to be posted in the travel magazines, retirement magazines, and the like...the preconceived notion of "cheap Argentina" is not as it was....or probably ever will be again...unless something changes in the upcoming elections.

EvergreenGal said:
the preconceived notion of "cheap Argentina" is not as it was....or probably ever will be again...unless something changes in the upcoming elections.

The notion of 'cheap Argentina' only really existed for a few years following the crisis. It seems to just be reiterated now out of habit.

Evergreen Gal- our 400 sq mt home (in Olivos) electric is 2,500 pesos or more than half my salary as a teacher (last year it was 800 pesos). Our dog food has risen from 150 peso (last year) to 450 peso this year. We feed them meat instead of dog food, cheaper. Since we get paid in pesos living here I have seen prices go up. I do not know how people survive. Yes we are expats making only pesos salaries even though we got relocated for my hubbies job and no we don't get our rent paid for either.

I find Buenos Aires in many ways outrageously expensive and for local people I have the deepest sympathy. Many common items now are as dear or not dearer than other western countries and peoples salaries are not increasing at these rates.

The truth is even in the days of one to one Buenos Aires was never as dear as it is now.

criswkh...oh my God!! That is the worse I have heard so far!!! Man oh man that makes our 370 peso gas bill look like nothing! That is just plan wrong!!! Yes, a lot of people assume that if you work here and are an expat you get your house paid for...I think that is mostly the Embassy folk and some people that got a great deal in their work contracts!!

Well your dogs are probably better off w/the beef...just be sure to throw in some veggies, brown rice and olive oil for their coat....NO onions...can be deadly for dogs.

Our electricity bill for November December last year was 420 odd pesos, up from 55 or so normally. In December we used our one air conditioner fairly heavily, but our power usage was up only 40%. The air conditioner has never been switched on since and we have managed to stay under the penalty limits with bills returning to something near normality, but we live in constant fear after that jaw dropping increase.

Back