Inflation - where to find the real numbers?

itsme

Registered
HI all,

i will ask for a pay raise for my company which is based abroad. it'll be based on things like inflation of prices here as well as ARPeso devaluation against the dollar (in the last year) will be taken into account.

Anyone know how to get somewhat accurate inflation numbers for 2009? I know a lot of what is offically published is not necessarily true...

Thanks for any help!

Lol Lucas you must be the only person in Argentina that still defends the INDEK, even the government doesn't believe in it.

jez said:
Argentina, entre los tres países con mayor inflación en el mundo

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2010/01/03/elpais/p-02112194.htm

Eeks! :eek:

"It'sme" from my limited experience, raises seem to be granted based on the official inflation numbers. Do prepare other criteria, including merit, exchange rate, alternative inflations figures, etc, to boost your chances for the best raise possible. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

99% of Argentina's news media are totally against the current goverment.
An their info can not be trusted, that is assure.

Now, the Indec can not be trusted either.
I would say inflation last year was about 20%, for what i have seen on my own.

If you want to know the real numbers, In Argentina you have only one way.

Get a crystal ball:)

Lucas said:
Why do you think that is not true?

Lucas, are you asking why the original poster does not trust the official INDEC inflation figures? Perhaps I lack imagination, but I can't see how any functioning adult who has lived in Argentina for any length of time could fail to see the falling purchasing power of the peso. Now, why exactly INDEC would report faulty numbers is not immediately obvious and one can be forgiven for not immediately groking the reason for the inflation fib. But come on, trusting the official inflation numbers? Really? ;-)

For the curious, I suggest you familiarize yourself with inflation-indexed bonds (sometimes called linkers). Argentina has issued something in the order of $30 billion dollars worth of these bonds and if inflation were understated by 1 percentage point a year, Argentina’s index-linked bondholders would lose $300 million annually in interest and principal.

Back