Inflation

jb5

Registered
I'm shocked at some of the prices people are quoting in threads-- things seem much more expensive than when I last was there 9 months ago.

How is this impacting expats? Are people leaving?

How is this impacting those of you with businesses there? Are wages keeping pace with inflation?

It also seems that other parts of the country are not being hit nearly as hard as Baires. Why?

What's your guess on whether it will continue?

jb5 said:
How is this impacting expats? Are people leaving?

How is this impacting those of you with businesses there? Are wages keeping pace with inflation?

It also seems that other parts of the country are not being hit nearly as hard as Baires. Why?

What's your guess on whether it will continue?

Tough to see if more expats are leaving - very few "expats" are here for more than a year anyway. And those that stay longer usually have a reason to be here (marriage, kids, etc.) that makes it hard for them to leave. I will say that I think the days of BsAs as a "cheap" destination are long over.

As far as business - yes, it's impacting us. Between the 20% annual raises (that still aren't enough according to employees), the risk and cost of redundancy, the "soft" costs, the amount of red tape, etc - it's becoming more and more problematic to have a business here. We've shifted some work to other parts of the world.

As to whether it will continue - yes, I think it will until the system corrects itself.

We're leaving in the next few months and have been here for over 5 years. We both work online and can live anywhere. As of right now the benefits of living here are outweighed by the cons.

vanessa said:
We're leaving in the next few months and have been here for over 5 years. We both work online and can live anywhere. As of right now the benefits of living here are outweighed by the cons.
I've been here for five years as well and also work online, coupled with Fedex. I feel the same way at times and also could live anywhere where there's internet and Fedex. I might get run out of here with visa issues anyway, but the cons are certainly on the rise. But if we leave too early we won't be here to see the election extravaganza later in the year. That might be worth witnessing.:eek:

Do you think the election will change the outlook?

citygirl said:
As far as business - yes, it's impacting us. Between the 20% annual raises (that still aren't enough according to employees), the risk and cost of redundancy, the "soft" costs, the amount of red tape, etc - it's becoming more and more problematic to have a business here. We've shifted some work to other parts of the world.

As to whether it will continue - yes, I think it will until the system corrects itself.

Ooh! Your staff get 20% pay rises? Could I work for you? I promise I'll be very grateful. We just got awarded a big fat 0% after our latest pay rise request.

jb5 said:

No, the people in charge are the people producing the inflation, so between now and the election it will only get worse as they spend ever more money to win. What will be most likely in my opinion is that later this year or in 2012 the commodity boom is going to end. This is going to dry up the source for all the government spending that's occurring today(government spending is up a whooping 40% from a year ago). When this occurs either the government will have to cut spending drastically or collapse the economy once again. One way or the other spending will be curtailed and then the inflation will be contained. Cristina even if re-elected will not be president at the end of 2012 due to the turmoil and chaos that's going to occur when the chickens come home to roost from years of bad economic policies authored by her and her late husband. Even if someone else is elected I am afraid it will be much to late in the game to avert another melt-down.

jb5 said:

Pretty sure theyre going to re-elect all the same people, so that wouldnt change much.

Back