Insane Landlords

littleba8073

Registered
I just think I need to vent for a minute. Is it a requirement that ALL dueños of apartments are bat shit insane? We are moving. The landlord we have is abroad and some of his family stopped by to check out the apartment with a person who is interested in moving in after us. The curtains fell down and the walls need to be painted, there are a few other little things that need to be fixed. We know that, and we have intentions of fixing it. I didn't think it was the end of the world, I didn't even think it was that bad, plus we have someone who said they'd do the work, and we have the money to fix it. We were just waiting until the last month that we were there so in case anything else came up with would have it fixed too.

I guess my husband said something to them about how the parking lot looks uncomfortable. We don't have a car so we haven't been paying expenses for the parking lot. Anyway, they freaked out and thought that we were lying to them the whole time and we secrectly have a car. So, they slapped on an extra $300 pesos to our expenses this month to pay for the space, which we don't use. So, I guess we are paying for a parking lot this month. (Maybe I can park my bike there just to make use of it?!)

They are also claiming that everything was sickeningly dirty... Hmm, I clean everyday. I really do. I am not even sure where this EVERYTHING IS SUPER SUCIO came from.... It's just a big WTF. I mean, yeah, there is some stuff that needs to be fixed. We are fixing it... I fail to see where all the drama is coming from.... Are they all really this insane?! Holy gosh. I don't know what to think.:confused:

The owner, who has never seen the apartment and is going off of what his relatives are telling him sent the realtor who we work with this message: (I bleeped out their names)

realmente estoy INDIGNADO!!!! hoy estuvieron mis suegros y una persona interesada en alquilar el depto.
Realmente lo que vieron es DEPLORABLE!!! YO NO SE QUE VISTE VOS EN AGOSTO CUANDO LO FUISTE A VER PERO AHORA ESTA HECHO UN DESASTRE.
EJEMPLOS, LA CORTINA RAYADA Y RIEL CAIDO ARRANCADO, EL PISO DE MADERA RAYADO POR UNA CORRIDA DE MUEBLE, LAS PAREDES ESCRITAS, LA MANIJA DE HORNO LE SACARON EL INOXIDABLE, TODO SUCIO!!! QUE PASO CON LA PERSONA TAN IMPECABLE QUE VOS DECIAS QUE ERA ****?? COMO VA A HACER AHORA PARA ARREGLAR TODO?? O NOS VA A DEJAR CON LOS 1300 PESOS DEL DEPOSITO!!
DICE QUE EL LO VA A ARREGLAR, HOY ES 9 LE FALTAN 18 DIAS PARA IRSE. QUIERO QUE PASES TODOS LOS DIAS A VER QUE HIZO POR QUE SE VA A IR A LA MIERDA Y NOS LO VA A DEJAR ASI, Y NO LO ENCONTRAMOS NUNCA MAS. NO TENIA GARANTIA Y PAGO POR ADELANTADO, CLARO AHORA NO TENES FORMA DE AGARRARLO CON NADA.
Y VOS ***** PENSE QUE HABIAS IDO A VERLO, CONFIE EN VOS COMO LA ADMINISTRADORA DEL DEPTO Y ME DIJISTE QUE ESTABA PERFECTO. AHORA QUE PASO, NO LO ENTIENDO!?!?TE PIDO POR FAVOR EXPLICAMELO. SIEMPRE ME DIJISTE QUE NO TIENE AUTO Y AHORA EL DICE QUE LA COCHERA ES MUY INCOMODA PARA ENTRAR??? ENTONCES SE QUERIA TIRAR EL LANCE PARA BAJARLE EL PRECIO Y USAR IGUAL LA COCHERA???
ENCIMA TIRO MIERDA CONTRA TODO DESDE LA CONSTRUCCION DEL EDIFiCIO EN ADELANTE!!! AL FINAL PAGO CHAUCHAS Y PALITOS, Y NOS QUEDAMOS CON UN DEPTO A ESTRENAR, IMPECABLE, AHORA DESTRUIDO Y SIN NADIE QUE SE HAGA CARGO DE ESTO, PORQUE CON $1300 NO LE PAGAMOS NI A L DE LA LIMPIEZA, LA UGRE QUE HAY ES IMPRESIONANTE......
ESPERO TU RESPUESTA URGENTE....Y QUIERO SABER QUE VAS A AHACER A RESPECTO

Okay, vent over. I just needed someone to hear me complain. Off to drink a bottle of wine and think this one through.

yes, from what others have said on this forum, the majority of argentine landlords are insane! This is not new. What they're trying to do is make this huge scene about the condition of the apartment just so they can keep the deposit.

What I've learned from living here for too many years is that Argentines like to get into screaming matches; it's just about who can scream louder. It may not be in your nature, certainly not in mine! But that's how they are. Yell, make shit up, be completely irrational because that's how they work.

Little Ba .
Pretty much a slamdunk about them wanting to keep the deposit. They mentioned it in the message. And knowing the intonation , they are playing " Soy loco ".
Dont be surprised that thi is what they have been talking about amongt themselves since it happened. Im sure the wife will be going to pay a visit to the local fortuneteller.
Sick little buggers !
Good luck , stay calm , and make sure they dont go into your place when you arnt there.
Dont back down , and dont deal with anyone other than the realtor. No matter how juicy the info is . They could be doubleteaming you .

Yep, thats pretty much how mos of them are. We actually had the owner come a tear a huge hole in the mattress in an effort to get us to pay them MORE than the deposit that they never had any intention of giving back.

Take pictures when you check in and when you check out. Have proof of the condition that everything is in.

va2ba said:
Yep, thats pretty much how mos of them are. We actually had the owner come a tear a huge hole in the mattress in an effort to get us to pay them MORE than the deposit that they never had any intention of giving back.

Take pictures when you check in and when you check out. Have proof of the condition that everything is in.

Or seriouesly consider not coming to BA in the first place.

There are so many better places in the world to visit!

Including other areas in Argentina..though a week in BA may still be somewhat desirable...if you don't get ripped off in one way or another. :p

I have to stick up for some landlords/ladies here. Granted, I have had an absolutely awful rental experience here (if you're interested, you can read about my loca roommate in past threads) but now I rent and live alone. My landlady said she trusted me enough to not make me pay a deposit, lets me wash my clothes for free in her house a few blocks away, and offered to accompany me to the doctor when I wasn't feeling well.

There are good landlords and ladies in this city! Have faith

OP - sorry to hear about what you are going through. It is sooo frustrating to get robbed like that and the best you can do is try to put it in perspective (though admittedly difficult to do while it's happening)

Also I would advise you NOT to pay to fix the things if you think they will keep your deposit anyway, if they are that loco. Might make you feel a little better about losing the $.

LaurenW said:
I have to stick up for some landlords/ladies here. Granted, I have had an absolutely awful rental experience here (if you're interested, you can read about my loca roommate in past threads) but now I rent and live alone. My landlady said she trusted me enough to not make me pay a deposit, lets me wash my clothes for free in her house a few blocks away, and offered to accompany me to the doctor when I wasn't feeling well.

You are correct, we've had 3 crazy owners, but the last two have been very nice. Our current owner has actually done everything that he claimed he would do. He installed a railing on the staircase the day after we moved in for my pregnant wife. He has fixed numerous problems in the house, and he even installed he air conditioner that he promised when we moved in.

The owners who are nice may be outnumbered by the crazies, bu they are out there.

Another point is to not work with the owners unless you happen to be friends with them. There is a lot to be said to dealing only with an agency and never even meeting the owner. Some agencies may have their bad moments, but yo're chances will be much better if you deal ONLY with an agency.

It is common in Latin America for landlords to exaggerate wear and tear on an apartment to avoid returning deposit money. The best defense against this is to take ample pictures upon moving in, and to always plan to lose the deposit (if you don't great, but don't plan on getting it back).

Back