Insurance when travelling back home?

jimdepalermo said:
I have a bunch of credit cards, but, to my knowledge, none of them offer any substantial medical coverage in the US. Amex has a referral network of doctors and hospitals, but it doesn't cover their cost.

Which card are you using? Decent travel medical coverage would be a real benefit, worth an additional annual fee.
Euro/Master Gold.

I have 60 days world wide coverage for me and spouse each trip - anything I can imagine except dangerous sports, provided I pay the ticket using the CC - saves me some 1,750 Danish kroner/year, 60% more than I pay for the card.

Add: I could travel for 60 days, return to my home one day, travel for 60 more days - the CC insurance covers each single trip for up to 60 days (the insurance conditions are on the web, but I only know of the site with Danish text - may be for EuroCard only).

http://www.mastercard.com is full of crap about balance transfers etc. - to me the card is cash made of plastic, payable in full every month.

Add more: http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/guidetobenefits/index.html

has something about insurances.

My Argentine 'pre pago' health insurance company pays up to $20,000 USD medical costs for each trip abroad. I can also obtain, at reasonable cost, 30,000 euros of insurance if I want. The former is at no additional cost. A few months ago they paid for an ER visit in the US.

sergio said:
My Argentine 'pre pago' health insurance company . . . .
I thought that you'd offered to tell us the name of your pre pago, "sergio".

John St. Would you kindly tell everyone the name of the creditcard that provides "unlinited 60 day world wide full coverage included"? A band aid in a U.S. hospital probably costs US$20.00 -US$30.00 depaending on the size.

fred mertz said:
John St. Would you kindly tell everyone the name of the creditcard that provides "unlinited 60 day world wide full coverage included"? A band aid in a U.S. hospital probably costs US$20.00 -US$30.00 depaending on the size.
As a matter of fact I gave the name in a previous post in this thread: EuroCard/MasterCard Gold

The entire coverage is 34 pages, so I give only a very brief overview.

The credit card insurance covers the following:

Cancellation (own disease/injury or serious disease/injury within closest family).
No show for flight forced by ulterior(?) causes (= not my fault).
Reasonable expenses caused by flight delays (including hotel if overnight delay).
Delayed or lost luggage.
Disease and injury during trip, including accident and assault.
Home transport/relocation (Limit - DKK 5,000,000, SOS arranges everything - including home transport in case of serious disease/injury/death within closest family at home).
Accompaniment (if serious injured or ill, all expenses for closest relative to travel to e.g. Argentina to accompany me back to Danmark, SOS arranges everything from the home and back).
Dentistry as a result of injury or assault.
Death and home transport.
Post conditions.
Personal responsibilities (Limits - persons DKK 5,000,000, material damage DKK 2,000,000).
Legal expenses.

Who:
Card holder + accompanying spouse/common law spouse + all accompanying common or separate children under 18 and 18-23 under education and living on card holders address.

Amount:
Disease, injury, relocation - I have to admit it isn't unlimited, only up to DKK 5,000,000 (US$ 955,000 = AR$ 3,620,000) - hospital, physician, etc., etc. (list of coverage is 2 pages); dentistry, luggage etc. various lower amonts - I know from experience (twice -via London Heathrow, ouch!) that a luggage delay of more than 4 hours entitles me to spend a reasonable amount up to DKK 6,000 (1,100 US$ = AR$ 4,300) on articles similar to those found in my suitcase - no refund (= I receive and keep the money) when luggage showed up 11 days later, had to buy another suitcase (not covered because I recovered the old one :D) to transport a lot of new clothes, shoes, etc.

Where:
During vacation in any foreign country (i.e. where I am not registered as a citizen).

Payment conditions:
The airline ticket(s) - on frequent flyer bonus ticket(s) the taxes - must be paid using the card.

For how long:
Sixty days counted from when you leave your house until your return to same - a one second stay in your home initiates another sixty days of coverage.
Time is extended automatically in case of disease/hospitalization or if card holder is detained by authorities.

What to do:
You/someone else/physician/hospital makes a free call to SOS (insurance company) where multi-languaged physicians decide local treatment or relocation to home country.

No coverage if:
Preconditional disease except if condition is deemed stable by physician
Less than 1 month before expected childbirth
While intoxicated or using narcotics etc.
While taking part in a crime, or a fight (except in self defence), dangerous or professional sports, expeditions demanding a special permit, big game hunting, etc., etc. - dangers clearly beyond a normal life.
When and where covered by the free and obligatory EU blue card.
Trips in home country (i.e. where you are registered as a citizen)
Travel to war zone or similar which the foreign ministery = ministery of state has warned against, except if present in a country when war breaks out, in which case coverage is limited to one month.

Except for amount, in general the same coverage as can be seen here (in English): http://www.gouda.dk/Conditions+no.+812.1390.aspx

Thanks so much, John.St. What a great card! I'm not aware of anything comparable in the US or in Argentina. Could you tell us what is the annual fee for such a card?

You don't know if they issue them to foreigners, do you?

jimdepalermo said:
Thanks so much, John.St. What a great card! I'm not aware of anything comparable in the US or in Argentina. Could you tell us what is the annual fee for such a card?

You don't know if they issue them to foreigners, do you?
DKK 1,125 = US$ 215 = AR$ 815.

Eurocard, which is now owned by SEB (Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken), has been issued all over Europe since the start in 1965 - I don't know about non-Europeans.

Se http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocard_(payment_card)
and http://www.eurocard.dk/pow/wcp/euro...B8C12573EC0069D132&sitekey=eurocard.dk&xsl=dk

Add: Conditions and coverage in Danish: http://select.seb.se/ecdk/pdf/Forsikringsbetingelser_EC_gold_EC_gold_corp.pdf

Add:
How can it be so cheap?

Probably because most Europeans mostly travel within Europe, where we are covered by the free blue card.

fred mertz said:
Thanks a lot, Fred, your post made me check the Eurocard insurance page and I found that I can save some DKK 2,000 (US$ 450) by extending my Eurocard insurance coverage to a full year instead of a separate Gouda insurance beyond 60 days.

Great topic! So what are some of the credit cards that include medical coverage when traveling back to one's country of citizenship?

Thanks.

Jim, You're the best! Can I bring you back some Skippy's or Ghiradelli chocolate chips or something! Or stop by and pick your own blueberries! Warmly, Gayle (San Nicolas)

Back