(Intensive) Tango Lessons?

I've visited several classes now and one thing I know for sure: the more tourists there are the more crap the lesson. Avoid places like La Viruta, la Catedral, El Beso, places in San Telmo, etc. Theses places are awful expensive and teachers want only one thing: money. They don't care about taking good care of you, teaching how to walk or dance tango.
Some of them are so rude like this woman from El Beso.

I agree partially. El Beso is probably the best place to learn to dance. And probably because of that they might be rude. And that´s because you didnt try to dance at El Beso during the Milonga, they probably give you a chair ...inside the bathroom :) It took me long time to "own" my table in a specific place on the dance floor.

El Beso is a small and crowded dance floor and to crash other couples is not accepted at all. Cabeceo is a must, so they teach you to dance in those difficult circumstances where foreigners usually fail. If you can dance in a dance floor like that one and the woman feels you are alone on the dance floor, then you really know to dance. Regards

In BA it makes no sense to learn from young people, try to take clases with the old ones like Carlitos Perez, Parejita, El pibe Sarandi, Elina Roldan. Even they usually travel abroad, here they teach different because if you don t like it, they don t care. They teach what you need not what you want.

Regards

Bajo do you have any recommendations for teachers? Would it be these ones above? Where do they teach and how much do they charge? I did ballroom dancing for years but havent yet managed to try Argentina tango. Although my girlfriend (who is Argentine) and I are really keen to do it. I dont need a teacher to pat my back, I want a really good teacher who will get results.

When I am in BA , i always do to DNI. I love that place. Lots of tourists go there! They are very friendly over there

When I am in BA , i always do to DNI. I love that place. Lots of tourists go there! They are very friendly over there

DNI is a tango nuevo place where they teach whatever you want instead of what you need. It is a friendly environment for foreigners. To go to the closest milonga in your hometown too. There is no difference at all.

The dance floor is a ruthless place where you you have to adapt to its rules. If you don t know them or if you dance doing zig zag, walking reward, uncirculating, making high voleos, crashing other couples or trying to dance on the outer line being nobody, the other dancers are going to be bulling you.

However, if you respect the rules and you dance small and forward, they are going to stop bulling you and they are going to make you space.

Bajo do you have any recommendations for teachers? Would it be these ones above? Where do they teach and how much do they charge? I did ballroom dancing for years but havent yet managed to try Argentina tango. Although my girlfriend (who is Argentine) and I are really keen to do it. I dont need a teacher to pat my back, I want a really good teacher who will get results.

I mentioned them. Carlitos Perez teachs you to walk and embrace. This is the big difference between locals and foreigners dance. It is a walking class where girls and guys are separated. Many professors and world champions takes this class.

Raul Bravo is the one for learning giros.

Parejita is alike Perez but with a different poing of view.

At el Beso they teach you to dance on the dance floor.

During the afternoon there is the Class of Casas, father or Son but they are for advanced dancers.

At la Viruta the class of Godoy is great for creativity and only for advanced.

For milonga there is a couple called Los Totis that are great. Elina Roldan too. Gabriela Elias is excellent too (La Baldosa).

Sometimes el Nene Massi gives seminaries. He is outstanding about ocho adelante for men (is it super difficult when you don t know you partner and say "now 8 adelante")

El Indio is a great teacher for intermediate about musicality and only when he want to teach neo milonguero. When he feels like teaching new tango is a waste of time.

Firpo is recommended too.

A great master about milonga is Viqueira. He has a unique style. The same about tango.

Avoid Olga Bessio, she only teaches properly to her son and daughter because she is one of those persons who prefers to be the one-eyed in the kingdom of the blind if you understand what I mean.

I might be outdated because I don t take classes.
Regards

Well, a friend of mine used to compete professionally in Ballroom and she is an outstanding tango dancer. Let me ask her if I can give you her contact info because she can help you better.

If you already dances, you probably needs for private lessons for catching up with tango. I can recommend you a good friend of milonga who is a professor. His name is Jose Luis Lavayen and you can find him in FB. I think he doesn t speak English but his girlfriend is from NYC, so she can assist him.

There is a guy called robinson who is an as....le but he is a good professor who show results.

Among the youngsters. Florencia Argento y Jorge Llado are oustanding in Tango and Milonga. If they are in Argentina, I recommend them.
Regards

Well, a friend of mine used to compete professionally in Ballroom and she is an outstanding tango dancer. Let me ask her if I can give you her contact info because she can help you better.

If you already dances, you probably needs for private lessons for catching up with tango. I can recommend you a good friend of milonga who is a professor. His name is Jose Luis Lavayen and you can find him in FB. I think he doesn t speak English but his girlfriend is from NYC, so she can assist him.

There is a guy called robinson who is an ass....e but he is a good professor who show results.

Among the youngsters. Florencia Argento y Jorge Llado are oustanding in Tango and Milonga. If they are in Argentina, I recommend them.
Regards

Thanks Bajo. That would be fantastic if she doesnt mind her details being passed on! Please send me a PM if she doesnt mind.

Its been about 10 years since I did ballroom (I quite when I was 17) but was an national champ back in australia so I am hopeful we will pick it up okay. Although ballroom tango is quite different.

My girlfriend is Argentine and I am pretty comfortable with my spanish so we should be fine without a teacher speaking english. We wanted to learn together and prefer to take private lessons.

I will try and get in touch with Jose Luis.

I dont need a teacher to pat my back, I want a really good teacher who will get results.

I would like to recommend one of the best teachers in BA! Yuyu Herrera (http://www.yuyutango.com/) She was a student of, in my opinion, the finest tango dancer I have ever seen, Gustavo Naveira (http://www.gustavoygiselle.com/). She does zero self-promotion so you will not hear of her unless you have been in the tango scene for a while (but ask anyone who has been around). She is also known for being the teacher for the blind... here and in Europe (There is a documentary about her in Poland). Anyway, she is not expensive, no BS and intense. She also has group classes and some academy on Cordone and Dorrego, and has just started teaching small classes Tuesday night (7pm) at 'La Dignidad', a really nice 'collaborative' restaurant on Aguero off of Estado de Israel in Amagro... but not sure how long that will last.

I would like to recommend one of the best teachers in BA! Yuyu Herrera (http://www.yuyutango.com/) She was a student of, in my opinion, the finest tango dancer I have ever seen, Gustavo Naveira (http://www.gustavoygiselle.com/). She does zero self-promotion so you will not hear of her unless you have been in the tango scene for a while (but ask anyone who has been around). She is also known for being the teacher for the blind... here and in Europe (There is a documentary about her in Poland). Anyway, she is not expensive, no BS and intense. She also has group classes and some academy on Cordone and Dorrego, and has just started teaching small classes Tuesday night (7pm) at 'La Dignidad', a really nice 'collaborative' restaurant on Aguero off of Estado de Israel in Amagro... but not sure how long that will last.

I agree about Yuyu, my mistake about not to recommend her. She teachs a beatiful embracement.

Back