Interested in meeting people

Marche, one place comes to mind as being particularly gnarly. It is by Plaza de Mayo, on the north end. It is called Casa Rosada......LOTS of seedy people hang out there!

Marche exile said:
A very interesting answer. I'm getting to the point now that I m thinking that you trip over an expat every step in these so called expat areas, surely not? So would it be better to ask what are the 'gnarly' places? I'd really like to stay somewhere older which is more important to me as we live in a 500 year old house now. Thanks again for your reply. Rx

Ok, pompella comes to mind, lugano, sodati, baracas... these examples are not recommendable for someone who doesn't know their way around.

@elcolo: I't does not annoy me, it is merely an observation, but given that you state "... for most people these are generally accepted as the best locations to live in...", this is the domino effect of only accepting the recommendations of a few; and given that these handful of neighborhoods are frequented by expats, does that not in fact then become known to the locals as "places for foreigners". The locals know it, criminals know it, cheats and scammers know it; so maybe it becomes the worst places to go to. At least mixing with the locals in neighborhoods where the average Argen-Joe lives homogenizes the situation and it doesn't become such a target. Plus, you get to experience real-life living abroad as opposed to being a dura-tourist.
Plus, all those neighborhoods are a lot more expensive than, say caballito (which is close to a lot of things-to-do, at less of the cost).
Oh yeah... palermo ?!?! Floods ?!?! No thanks :p.

gpop said:
Ok, pompella comes to mind, lugano, sodati, baracas... these examples are not recommendable for someone who doesn't know their way around.

@elcolo: I't does not annoy me, it is merely an observation, but given that you state "... for most people these are generally accepted as the best locations to live in...", this is the domino effect of only accepting the recommendations of a few; and given that these handful of neighborhoods are frequented by expats, does that not in fact then become known to the locals as "places for foreigners". The locals know it, criminals know it, cheats and scammers know it; so maybe it becomes the worst place to go to. At least mixing with the locals in neighborhoods where the average Argen-Joe lives homogenizes the situation and it doesn't become such a target. Plus, you get to experience real-life living abroad as opposed to being a dura-tourist.
Plus, all those neighborhoods are a lot more expensive than, say caballito (which is close to a lot of things-to-do, at less of the cost).
Oh yeah... palermo ?!?! Floods ?!?! No thanks :p.

Well I would still say to stick to the more well known areas when you first arrive. Find your feet in the city and then feel free to branch out and stay somewhere different.
I've lived here for 3 years(Recoleta mostly), and have never even witnessed a crime. Probably lucky, but I certainly wouldn't say nor even imply that criminals might be targeting the 'safer' areas of the city.
I'm sure Villa Urquiza and areas around there are nice and perfectly safe too, but I know nothing about them, and there is far less information available about those areas. So it makes sense to stay in one of the more popular barrios at least when you first get here; for peace of mind if nothing else.

My wife and I are just visiting Buenos Aires for a month. We found an apartment in San Telmo which is the old historic center of BA. We also stayed in Recoleta for a few days. San Telmo is far more attractive to us. It has a lot of graffiti and sure there is always litter but the people are very friendly, there is a plethora of excellent restaurants etc. and it grows on you. I think BA has many faces and I agree you need to see these areas for yourselves.

Back