Interesting rip off by a forum user - mercadolibre

Nahuel said:
Was he selling the bike for the same price or a little bit higher?

I mean, i understand why you get mad, bu if he pays you the 3800 that you are asking for, and then resells it for, let's say, 4500... what would be your problem?

Selling a house doesn't work like this? You have a house to sell, so this guys finds you a buyer, sells it for a price that both you and the salesman get money out of it.

maybe i'm missing the part where he wasn't going to pay you at all...

My problem is that he/she is selling MY property on a medium that I hadn't yet exploited. After no hits on BAepats, I go to mercadolibre to list it a bit higher (because everybody tries to bargain the price down here, at least a little) and its already been posted! So I post for a lower amount, another Dahon owner lowers HIS price to compete with mine, and I'm in a bidding war with two people, one of which doesn't own the bike yet.

Personally I believe it's an expat, although I have no proof.

sam3g said:
My problem is that he/she is selling MY property on a medium that I hadn't yet exploited. After no hits on BAepats, I go to mercadolibre to list it a bit higher (because everybody tries to bargain the price down here, at least a little) and its already been posted! So I post for a lower amount, another Dahon owner lowers HIS price to compete with mine, and I'm in a bidding war with two people, one of which doesn't own the bike yet.

Personally I believe it's an expat, although I have no proof.

Now it's a bit more clear. The other person had advertised the same model bike at a higher price on mecado libre than you were initially asking here and used your photos in their ad.

Though it really doesn't matter if they're an expat or not, when you asked: "Hola, $3800 esta bien?"

And the answer was: "Ahhh! So you want to buy your own bike lol" you have every reason to believe it's someone who saw the bike for sale here first.

It is not unusual for sellers of similar or identical items to "compete" by lowering the asking price, but it does look like the seller who used the photos of your bike does not actually own one....yet...and perhaps was hoping to "flip" yours without even buying it first.

Nahuel said:
I mean, i understand why you get mad, bu if he pays you the 3800 that you are asking for, and then resells it for, let's say, 4500... what would be your problem?

Selling a house doesn't work like this? You have a house to sell, so this guys finds you a buyer, sells it for a price that both you and the salesman get money out of it.

maybe i'm missing the part where he wasn't going to pay you at all...

I think at the very least this is scummy behavior as this guy is selling something he doesnt own, is selling someone elses property that he doesnt have the right to sell, and hasnt ask the seller if he can sell it on his behalf.

If a realestate agent put your house on the market, without you knowing, that is classed as a crime - well at least in my country it is !!!

I would be tempted to report it to mercadolibre to get his account cancelled, this would stuff up his reputation on mercadolibre.

It is pretty common on Financial markets to do this. It is called a short sale. It's always under discussion weather it should or shouldn't be banned.

So, if the guy bought the bike and after the purchase had put it in ML, there would not be a problem.

I'm just saying this only sounds that you are making it bigger than it actually is...

Believe me, i don't even have a ML account because i belive their system is bullshit (charging comision for the sell instead of a fixed rate for add space and platform) but still i believe that is not that much of a big deal if you ended up with the money anyways...

davonz said:
I think at the very least this is scummy behavior as this guy is selling something he doesnt own, is selling someone elses property that he doesnt have the right to sell, and hasnt ask the seller if he can sell it on his behalf.

If a realestate agent put your house on the market, without you knowing, that is classed as a crime - well at least in my country it is !!!

I would be tempted to report it to mercadolibre to get his account cancelled, this would stuff up his reputation on mercadolibre.

So, if you are selling your house and a guy (not the one you hired but a different company or firm) tells you there is a potential buyer it's illegal?

Nahuel said:
So, if you are selling your house and a guy (not the one you hired but a different company or firm) tells you there is a potential buyer it's illegal?

There is a difference between advertising and trying to sell something that you dont own or dont have an agreement to sell on the behalf of someone else, to going and asking someone if they are interested in selling something because you have someone who might be interested in buying it.

The guy who was trying to sell the bike was giving the impression it was his, that he owned it - that straight away is a deception.

Nahuel said:

Telling someone there is a potential buyer for their property is very different from listing that property for sale.

Davonz did not use the example of someone who is selling their house. He simply cited the example of a real estate agent putting a property on the market without the knowledge or consent of the owner, who may not even have a desire to sell.

I seriously doubt the "fake" mercado libre ad for the bike was illegal. Nonetheless, it might be contrary to the policies and conditions of mercadolibre (if you don't own an item or have permission of the owner to list it for sale it's a no-no).

davonz said:

Lets not get carried away. While pretending to be the original poster by using their shadow (sam3g) on mercadolibre is scummy, it's a bike not a house.

Have you ever used Microsoft windows? Well DOS, its forerunner was sold to IBM by Bill Gates before he even owned it. DOS was developed and owned by another company and opportunistic Bill seized the chance, acted as a middle man, pretended that Microsoft owned DOS, sold it to IBM and then bought DOS from the company who actually made it. He made billions from the deal and is considered by many to be an enterprising hero (except for those who use Apple products).

I sold an apartment here a few years ago and advertised it on soloduenos.com.ar, a site where owners can advertise their own properties without an agent. Some enterprising agents took it upon themselves, without my permission, to re-advertise my property in a range of other forums at their own cost. While somewhat annoying at the time (due to my own distrust of real estate agents and used car salesmen), one agent actually introduced me to a buyer who ended up buying the property.

Back