International Divorce Process

Hello.

Thanks for your reply. I am a bit confused by your reply.

What is 3 months? And it is 10,000 to 15,000 pesos if I am in Argentina??

If I am abroad then it cold be 45,000 pesos? What I the two years?

What s the new enorzable law?

3 month is what the legal procedure takes with a good judge.
Pesos.
2 years is the is what the legal procedure takes because thete are nitifications through the Embassy.
There is a new civil code.

Wrong. There is a hearing that most judges don't by pass. Being a LGTB marriage, i think that they might.
But i don't think this can be done with power of attorney, you have to sign all the papers.

There are no kids involved an quite frankly neither of us have any investments nor properties. It should be a simple and quick procedure.

My sister married a guy in December 2008 in South Africa. 5 days after the wedding she had to return to Canada to go back to work and start the visa process for him. It became evident very quickly it was fraudulent. There were no kids involved, they only actually ever spent 5 days together as spouses, and the divorce proceedings took over 2 years to come through.

What everyone above is forgetting about is that you actually need your wife to sign the papers. This is where the slowdown comes -- if you file from the States, you have to send the papers here, maybe your wife decides she's not going to sign. Maybe she forgets, maybe she doesn't send it in the post, maybe it takes her 6 months to decide. International marriages are a pain in the butt.

Do you have a copy of your marriage licence with you? Or does she have it? Did you get married in Argentina? You need a copy. This was a huge hold up for my sister when she was filing for divorce from Canada and South Africa didn't send her a notarized copy for months and months.

If your relationship with your wife is amicable enough, hopefully you can get everything together without much of a hassle.

Just an FYI. We are both male. Same -sex marriage. I super appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Anyone know of a reliable lawyer?

Sorry just saw this bit!

What year did you get married? It might make a huge difference! Friends of mine did a civil union here a few years back before they allowed marriage, their civil union isn't even recognised outside of Argentina, so when they split they didn't even have to worry about it. Otherwise replace wife with husband in my prior posting and everything is the same -- hopefully things are amicable enough between you two that you can get him to sign all the papers.

Same-sex marriage is not recognized in all US states (yet). Am I correct? If you don't plan to return to Argentina, perhaps you don't need to do anything depending where you are. If signatures are required, I'm sure you can arrange for a courier service for the documents.

Same-sex marriage is not recognized in all US states (yet). Am I correct? If you don't plan to return to Argentina, perhaps you don't need to do anything depending where you are. If signatures are required, I'm sure you can arrange for a courier service for the documents.

Much sooner, rather than later, same-sex marriage will be universal even in the retrograde South. We're talking months at most.

I would think it's good to do it in US. First, there is NO BS there, second it costs almost nothing. Thirdly, if you like to marry another hot Argentina woman, a US divorce doc is needed.

Not sure, but my two cents: If a marriage in USA is not recognized by Argentina, why would a USA divorce be any different?

Not sure, but my two cents: If a marriage in USA is not recognized by Argentina, why would a USA divorce be any different?

When I married my Argentine wife, a few in her family briefly wondered whether I might be a bigamist. I think they had seen too many Mormon missionaries.

Marriage in US/Divorce in US is recognized in Argentina and vice-versa. I believe the divorce proceeding has to be done in the same country the marriage was done in. OP - were you married here? And I assume this was a civil/legal ceremony with marriage license issued?

If by chance you were married in the US though, I can tell you the process can be done really easily and your partner doesn't have to physically present. There is pretty much zero cost involved besides the fedex fees nor is there any need for a lawyer.

Back