internship paid in pesos

just some thoughts...

a.) take those 10k and buy something "of value" you can take home with you and sell on ebay. you'll loose some $$, but if you pick the right item(s), might not be as much as with a bad exchange rate.

b.) call your bank in the US and see if for some reason they are willing to buy the pesos from you. very unlikely, but worth checking out. if they do, cash out the check and bring the peso notes.

It just seems crazy to me that we have a million posts on the same topic. I think people are getting tired of this. The dollar restrictions have been here since last November, so do we really need more posts 9 months later complaining about the same issue.

YOU CAN'T GET DOLLARS AT THE OFFICIAL RATE.

No one can help you. Not the AFIP, not the US Embassy (they will laugh in your face), and your bank back home won't buy your worthless pesos. So just suck it up and go sell the pesos for 6.5 per dollar because that is what they are worth.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you all need a wakeup call it seems.

el_expatriado said:
So just suck it up and go sell the pesos for 6.5 per dollar because that is what they are worth.

And do it soon, or you'll be paying 7.

el_expatriado said:
No one can help you. Not the AFIP, not the US Embassy (they will laugh in your face)

actually, this isn't actually true. having a CUIL, i could have bought dollars through AFIP's COC trámite (consulta de operaciones cambiaras) as i have proof that i will be traveling to the US on sunday. however, because there was a holdup at migraciones in processing my visa extra mercosur, i was only recently processed as an employee here at my company, and since my salary won't be officially reported until the end of the month, AFIP didn't have the substantiation that they needed to authorize me to buy dollars. if i had stayed here for a while longer or if my paperwork had been processed more quickly, i (theoretically) would have been able to get permission to buy the dollars.

i understand your frustration with the regulations, and i sincerely appreciate your frank feedback, but i hope that you don't stop helping members who post here out of that frustration, because as i mentioned in my previous post, this forum has been a tremendous aid to me, and i hope that it will continue to be for others in the future.

argengina said:
i understand your frustration with the regulations, and i sincerely appreciate your frank feedback, but i hope that you don't stop helping members who post here out of that frustration, because as i mentioned in my previous post, this forum has been a tremendous aid to me, and i hope that it will continue to be for others in the future.

I'm happy to keep helping, but there is no way to get USD at the official rate. Yes, if you are traveling they'll give you $100 per day if you have all your paperwork in order, but you seem to have answered your own question -- you have a CUIL and they didn't authorize you. So there's no other way to get USD.

You already said you don't have a credit card, so there goes that possibility.

You're just going to have to buy the blue dollar and suck it up. Either that or spend the pesos on something you want here.

Perhaps you should hurry to La Rural and see if you can buy some Championship Bull Sperm before heading back.

Other Suggestions:
-Leather Bags
-Argentine Specific Crafts (belt buckles, knives, mates, bombillas)
-Jewelry w/Inca Rose stone inlays
-Antiques from San Telmo (maybe)

Wow... I really can't think of much else.

In Turkey, you could always buy carpets for resale, but I really don't think that there's anything like that here.

Blue rate is going to be the only option here.

Otherwise, buy some nice gifts for people and some things you might be able to resell.

About 50 pairs of alpargatas - just sell them at half the rate of Tom's and you'll recover some money..lol

citygirl said:
Blue rate is going to be the only option here.

Otherwise, buy some nice gifts for people and some things you might be able to resell.

About 50 pairs of alpargatas - just sell them at half the rate of Tom's and you'll recover some money..lol

There's something in this.

1) Arandanu (sp?) has a couple of set ups selling alpargatas for only AR$50/pr at La Rural. (PAEZ charges about double that.)

2) When I first came to South America, I went to Brazil for a wedding. I ended up going back to the States with TWO carry-ons. One was a backpack and the other was a wicker bag I bought specifically to bring back about 20 pairs of Havaianas. The security guy who looked into my bag just started laughing when he saw what I was bringing back.

AR$50 = US$11-ish in the official rate. (US$7.75-ish blue rate).

If you sold them on eBay for US$25 w/free shipping, you could actually make money, while laundering it.

Plus, TOMS sold in the States are made in Asia. These are at least made where the original inspiration for TOMS are made.

It's worth looking into.

Back