Interview With Guardian Correspondent In Buenos Aires

lamaga

Registered
Just wanted to call your attention to this long interview in the Boston Review with Uki Goñi, Guardian correspondent in Buenos Aires. He talks about the dictatorship, ESMA, peso devaluation, Buenos Aires Herald, expats, Argentine historians, journalists, and corruption, among other themes.

"Political Hatred in Argentina"
http://www.bostonrev...erview-uki-goni

I wrote the piece but wanted to post it here, because if anybody will be interested in English-language coverage of this stuff it's you guys.

[Editor’s note: Clarín is the highest-selling newspaper in Argentina, viewed as anti-Kirchner and censored by the government.]

Censored? When has the GOA ever "censored" Clarin?

P.S. The Government's fight was with Grupo Clarín. The Media Law itself never addressed newspapers whatsoever. It's a minor detail, I suppose, but an important one when it comes to your credibility here.

Very Interesting interview,and albeit long, worth the read. Your questions were answered with some very
thought provoking comments. He is a very interesting and candid interviewee. Thanks for sharing it.

Just wanted to call your attention to this long interview in the Boston Review with Uki Goñi, Guardian correspondent in Buenos Aires. He talks about the dictatorship, ESMA, peso devaluation, Buenos Aires Herald, expats, Argentine historians, journalists, and corruption, among other themes.

"Political Hatred in Argentina"
http://www.bostonrev...erview-uki-goni

I wrote the piece but wanted to post it here, because if anybody will be interested in English-language coverage of this stuff it's you guys.

I've never met Uki in person, but I have corresponded with him and he's a very smart guy. He's also a rock musician.

Censored? When has the GOA ever "censored" Clarin?

P.S. The Government's fight was with Grupo Clarín. The Media Law itself never addressed newspapers whatsoever. It's a minor detail, I suppose, but an important one when it comes to your credibility here.

One could say by denying public advertisement money and forcing companies to remove adverts from clarin is an attempt to control the content of the paper and thus censorship.

Also the additional fight of denying alternative income through different forms of media etc is again an attempt to control the content.

Very interest interview. While I dont agree with his political views, and agree with some critics he has recieved from his book about the nazis and Peron (and no, Im not peronist nor say that that is a lie), as well as what happens with Cox, you cant deny how important the Herald have been in those years and what they did with Madres.

Interest what he says about Clarin and La Nacion during the period. And how people in the US embassy told them to "fuck Human Rights".

lkhweflkfnvas.d,vnas.,dvfne{.kvne.lvfn.{sd,vms.-,dvm_:SDV;M
I want my post back

Thank you for the comments. And yes, he is a musician; anyone at La Bomba de Tiempo tonight will get to see him playing onstage!

One could say by denying public advertisement money and forcing companies to remove adverts from clarin is an attempt to control the content of the paper and thus censorship.

The first part would result in a definition of censorship with most if not all countries' governments censoring the press. Which government advertises in all newspapers in their country? The second part about forcing companies to remove ads sounds more like a legitimate argument for censorship (if they really force companies that are not owned by the state to remove ads from certain newspapers).

Back