Int'l Taxes For Dummies

I'm not educated in Canadian taxes but he US allows about $90K in in foreign income before there is a tax obligation. Thyat being said....it's pretty difficult to make $90K USD in Argentina. Self employed or employer, maybe. Oppps or politician.

There's also the 330 days out of the country caveat, which for many puts them at double residency and taxation. The US is one of the strictest when it comes to paying taxes.

There's no need to be rude. He truly was trying to help. He wasn't asking a question. He posted this and the Immigration for dummies because he was trying to help. Not only that, he has a very valid point. More than one country at a time can claim you're a resident FOR TAX purposes for many different reasons, on top of your home country. Didn't your mom ever teach you that if you had nothing nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all?
Help needs to be accurate. I realize that the world is full of tax lore and misinformation and so do my accountants, who hear this stuff all of the time. If I offended your delicate nature have some warm milk and a cookie.

I've learned a lot from this forum in my 7 months here.
I've always been respectful to every one, and will always be.
I'm not out to criticise. I could argue, but not criticise.
I'm discouraged by negative personal remarks that does not contain any information.

I will resume offering my Joe blow tax payer underding of how to pay taxes. (Not every Joe blow hire and consult a tax accountant).
I paid all my taxes all my life without an expert (you only talk to accountants if you making lots'a dow ... lot's mulla).

So bare with me, I will resume offering my 2 cents. My way of thanking this great forum.
I want to pay back, in return for some of what I've learned.
I have no stake in this, just volunteering my time.

MYTH:
There exists an Internal Law for Taxes.

FACT:
There exists International Tax Treaties between specific countries.
What 2 countries agree to is just between those 2 countries, some other 2 countries can agree on totally different terms.

It's tax time once again. I just received my 2013 CRA "T1 Form for Non-Residents & Deemed Residents".

I've been filing "T1 Form for Non-Residents & Deemed Residents" for the last 9 years as a perma-tourist.

Where do I get a confirmation of my understanding of doing my CRA taxes?
Have I got right? Or been doing it wrong ?
Any Canadian Tax Accountant in Bs. As. ?

My only income is my small pension and I owe them nothing. Just curious to know what technically is the law (theoretically, as if I were in my working years making income and owe them). Not asking the special case where I do not owe.

Appreciative of any insight, experience, thoughts.

..............................................................................CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Completely new to this situation and I try to investigate a little before I post. My wife is an Argie but has US citizenship also. We now have moved permanently to Argentina. Her old job (in the US)hired her back to work part time over the internet as independent contractor. Does she still have to pay the same taxes that she would if we were still living in the US. I know it's basic but I really don't know

From what my accountant told me, she would still be liable for US Federal income tax as long as she is not already paying taxes on that same income here. If she no longer resides in the US she doesn't have to pay any state income taxes. However I am not an accountant, just relaying my understanding of what I was told. There have been prior threads on this so you might want to do a search of "US taxes"

Thank you so much! I'm such a novice when it comes to taxes let alone it now being a little more complex. Anything helps.

Back