Introduction and a Few Thanksgiving Questions

crowbar said:
Plain white puffed marshmallows do exist. I've bought them at Wal-Mart at Dot shopping at least twice in the last 60 days. As with many things they may be there one week and gone the next. I may stop by today and check.

I was there yesterday actually, and there were some empty spots on that back wall. A clerk checked in the back and it looks like they are out for the time being. I hope there will be some there soon or that they did have some and he just didn´t want to unpack a billion boxes at that moment and maybe they were stocked last night! One can hope!

If I ever see them in the future, I think I am going to buy them just to have them. Good nibbles they are!

Honestly, I don't think your Argentine family is going to like the pumpkin pie enough to warrant the effort... it's one of those things that they'll probably say ICK! to!!

I think an apple pie or galette is a lot easier and probably will be much more appreciated (especially if served with lots of whipped cream) -- I just made one last night that was super easy and delicious -- I just made as freeform galette: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/simplest-apple-tart/

The other suggestion would be pecan pie or pecan squares -- you won't find pecans here easily but walnuts can be used in their place with very good results -- I made these ones last year and they were very good -- you can make them ahead of time (let them cool a little so the filling holds together and then cut, but if they cool completely cutting them is tough!) -- serve them a bit warmed up or just room temperature. They are sickly sweet so are very appealing to the typical Argentine tastes! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pecan-Squares-15598

Oh wow syngirl, those recipes look AMAZING! I am thinking either would be appropriate for the holiday. Thanks so much!

Last year I made a chocolate pecan pie that was to die for. Pecans can frequently be found in Disco, or in abundance in Barrio Chino (though they're not cheap). I tend to agree that if you're making pie for Argentine family that pumpkin might not go over too well... However! it is the most traditional Thanksgiving pie, so it could be a fun cultural experiment. And if they don't like it, more pie for you! ;)

TomAtAlki said:

Speaking of making your own marshmallows... I don't know if I'm the only one grossed out by gelatin, but I saw agar agar powder the last time I was in barrio chino in Casa China. I didn't buy any then because I wasn't sure how much I would need to make my own marshmallows, but dammit I'm making vegetarian marshmallows this holiday season!

(not sure where the thumbs down icon came from?? I can't seem to get rid of it. Maybe Argentina doesn't approve of my vegetarian inclinations...)

I think making your own marshmallows is pretty awesome, and something I never thought I would ever consider! :p One thing I have learned in my mere 5 weeks living here is how you gotta get unique when cooking! I never have been a great cook, (just an enthusiastic one) but maybe this will change since I need to get so creative!

A useful book in BA is "The Food Substitutions Bible: More Than 6,500 Substitutions for Ingredients, Equipment and Techniques" $16US on Amazon.com

Back