Introduction and Working at University Question!

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you even visited here? I couldn't tell from your posts.

Before uprooting your family, I would *strongly* advise that your partner take a sabbatical and you come down here and spend an extended amount of time.

Salaries are quite low here, you don't speak the language which will make employment nearly impossible and living as a family on one salary (which will probably be low) will be very challenging, especially as you will probably need to rent "tourist" apartments which are quite expensive.

As far as it being a "safe and healthy" place to grow up - well, I think you will find those may not be the first two adjectives most Porteños would use to describe Buenos Aires.

I'm not saying you can't make it here but it's a lot more difficult that you may think. If you have investments or a substantial amount of money put away to live on, that would probably make it a lot easier. Anything is doable but I would proceed with caution.

Thanks for the information. No, we have not visited yet. We wanted to learn more before we invested in $2500 of airline tickets. We plan on researching until Spring 2010 and then spending the summer there looking around before making any final decision. My partner has summers off so this works best for us.
I realize that it will not be easy, probably more than most people who pick up and try to move there. That's why I stated that we saw ourselves as migrants. I see people immigrate to America. I think that in the long run it will be best for our children but not for us and I'm ok with that. The first generation of immigrants usually has it fairly hard. Our children will be attending the Waldorf School there and this usually makes it VERY easy to meet people. I have moved numerous times and always near a Waldorf school and have never had a hard time making friends. It kind of is a built in community, a very different kind of school that actually places great value on community and facilitates people coming together. But if we did not have this then I can see how it would be very hard to meet people since we will be be living a traditional expat life and we are not locals. Thank you for the words of caution.

I do know quite a bit about the environment and perhaps I was mis-leading when I said we wanted the boys to grow us in a safe and healthy environment. Every place and more importantly, every person, has some issues. I feel that in comparison to the US, despite the issues in Argentina, that the boys will be in a safer and healthier place. Things are awful here (in my opinion and this is a very subjective topic).

I REALLY appreciate everything that you have all given me. Please keep telling me the truth so that we can make an informed and educated choice. I consider your advice a great gift.

Thanks,
Wendy

zevpoppy said:
I'm a nurse but I don't speak any Spanish right now.

i knew two dutch girls who came (at seperate times) to work as nurses for three months - one in San Isidro and one in Hospital de Ninos. Neither spoke Spanish, both were training to be doctors and this was a part of their course. They learnt Spanish fast but the girl said that in San Isidro she was treated with disrespect and laughed at for her lack of language...
the other loved every minute of her work...

Whoever mentioned the year's sabatical (sorry i cant remember) has given you the best advice. Try first.

syngirl said:
Also, I think if you read the board more you'll understand that entering into the Argentina "community" is actually a very difficult task. Argentines are friendly, but in my experience not many are looking to make friends with foreigners. If you're coming as a family unit that will actually make it more difficult. Epect that your kids will make friends, and maybe you'll see some parents during playdates, but becoming real friends with locals can take years and years and years.

While I appreciate there is an element of caution in your reply in response to Zedpoppy's apparent naivety, my experience is very different. While I have only been here a week (I'm staying for a few years), I have spent a month or two a year here for the last 5 years. I reckon Argentines are the friendlist (in a genuine way) bunch of people you can hope to meet. Where else could you get your taxi driver to trawl around every car dealership in town, looking for the best price and then come and assist you with negotiations, walk you round all the various institutions for CDI's, Domicile etc (BTW there is nothing in it for him, he's just been my taxi driver for years - and the best driver in BA at that)? Where else when people you know vaguely hear you are arriving would they invite you to their daughters wedding? If you are having trouble getting to know Argentines you just need to get into the kitchen - they will travel a long way (including down the path of friendship) for a good dinner and fiesta!

Reactions: RWS
syngirl said:
Also, I think if you read the board more you'll understand that entering into the Argentina "community" is actually a very difficult task. Argentines are friendly, but in my experience not many are looking to make friends with foreigners. If you're coming as a family unit that will actually make it more difficult. Epect that your kids will make friends, and maybe you'll see some parents during playdates, but becoming real friends with locals can take years and years and years.

I don`t understand why there are many US people who thinks we argentines are not looking to make friends with migrants. Though it`s true many of us dislike capitalism and the US foreign policy, I don`t detect any anti-american feeling like in Europe. If you don`t speak the language of the country you are living in it`s logical that you won`t be able to make friends with natives.
It`s hard to believe that you want to come here now but I can assure you that in 20 years South America will be powerful.

If you want to come and live here do it, I welcome you and give you my hand. Take this place as home.

zevpoppy said:
Things are awful here (in my opinion and this is a very subjective topic).

If you are speaking more to the attitude that many Americans have with regard to the U.S., I can see where you're coming from.

I love the United States, and I always will. After all, I was born there and grew up there. But I'm so darn tired of the arrogance and elitism expressed by so many of my compatriots. Before I left, not only did I have people ask me if Argentina was next to Amsterdam (Yeah, I know. Wow.), but also they would ask me, "If the U.S. is the best country in the world, why would you want to live anywhere else?" Evidently, many people in my area skipped geography class, and they also didn't get the memo on logical fallacies in their English Comp classes.

I don't know how old your boys are, but I think that it would be an amazing experience for them. I wish my parents had done the same for me. It's better for them to open up their eyes now, instead of opening them when they're 18-years-old and in Mexico City by themselves... like me. (It wasn't a pleasant experience...)

Anyway, I love it here, and I've never been so happy in my life. I'm 22-years-old, made a crazy, crazy decision to come live here for an indefinite period of time, and everything is working out for me. When I was on the plane, there were a ton of uncertainties; however, one thing I knew then and I know now is that I am only going to live once. At the end of my days, when I am on my deathbed, I don't want to think that I never did anything amazing with my life because I was too prudent and calculating.

I wish you and your family the best! :)

Vikingo said:
I don`t understand why there are many US people who thinks we argentines are not looking to make friends with migrants. Though it`s true many of us dislike capitalism and the US foreign policy, I don`t detect any anti-american feeling like in Europe. .

Vikingo - it's not so much an anti-American sentiment. I think what many of us face is that while it's very easy to be conocidos with someone, it is not quite as easy to make true friends. Many people have been friends their entire life and as a newcomer, it can be very difficult to break into that circle.

Having a shared hobby will help (the friends I made came through riding). However, in general, I do find it difficult to make friends and find that to be a common experience amongst expats (more often with women than men).

Back to the OP - what do you intend to do about a visa?

Back