Introduction; Taxi Scams

Thanks for the "intel". Sounds like common sense -- and small bills ;-) -- will pretty much do the trick. Since my posting I read about people being kidnapped and held hostage till their family coughs up a bunch of money. But I take it that such extreme stuff is a rare occurrence?

As for how to set up a Xoom account, tangueraintrepida, check out this site: https://www.xoom.com/

quote from:tangueraintrepida,
The blue market will be a new thing for you to get used to. (Do a forum search on it and read up.) Don't bother with ATM machines, I recommend opening a Xoom account if you are from the U.S. Today the Xoom rate is about 6.3 whereas an ATM will get you about 4.7. Hence the reason everything may actually feel cheaper to you this time around even though the prices are higher.
=======================================================================================================

Hi 'tangueraintrepida',
I was reading todays new Blog entries onto BAexpats forum, then I came about this quote by you as entered above.
Your mentioning about opening up a Xoom account and the rate is around 6.3? I didn't know that
I could send money from my accounts in the USoA via Xoom and withdraw money from Xoom asignated Bank/Branch
Etc, whatever it is called Then while in BsAs,? Please elaborate a bit for me. Iam planning to take a trip over to BsAs~Santiago de Chile very soon. If I can avoid going to the ?Cambio" shops on Florida streets to exchange Blue Dollar the better for me, Less
hassle and even thinking of given back "fake Pesos" mean while transaction of exchanging Dollar to Pesos.
PLease show me how this Xoom rate works for me. My understanding of Xoom is to send money in Dollars and withdrawing my money in Dollars, then very beneficial to me 'cause I don't have to be bringing in all these Dollars
phisically on me. Iam a little clueless here. Please help me understand the scheme.

Much Obliged,

quote from:tangueraintrepida,
The blue market will be a new thing for you to get used to. (Do a forum search on it and read up.) Don't bother with ATM machines, I recommend opening a Xoom account if you are from the U.S. Today the Xoom rate is about 6.3 whereas an ATM will get you about 4.7. Hence the reason everything may actually feel cheaper to you this time around even though the prices are higher.
=======================================================================================================

Hi 'tangueraintrepida',
I was reading todays new Blog entries onto BAexpats forum, then I came about this quote by you as entered above.
Your mentioning about opening up a Xoom account and the rate is around 6.3? I didn't know that
I could send money from my accounts in the USoA via Xoom and withdraw money from Xoom asignated Bank/Branch
Etc, whatever it is called Then while in BsAs,? Please elaborate a bit for me. Iam planning to take a trip over to BsAs~Santiago de Chile very soon. If I can avoid going to the ?Cambio" shops on Florida streets to exchange Blue Dollar the better for me, Less
hassle and even thinking of given back "fake Pesos" mean while transaction of exchanging Dollar to Pesos.
PLease show me how this Xoom rate works for me. My understanding of Xoom is to send money in Dollars and withdrawing my money in Dollars, then very beneficial to me 'cause I don't have to be bringing in all these Dollars
phisically on me. Iam a little clueless here. Please help me understand the scheme.

Much Obliged,

You can go to www.xoom.com for full information and current rates. You actually get your money in pesos, not in dollars and, of course, the rates fluctuate. There is only one location in the city for pick up (Libertad 1057) so it's not as convenient as an ATM machine, but you can pick up as much as U.S. $2999 worth of pesos at a time instead of the $300 limit of most ATM machines.

You can go to www.xoom.com for full information and current rates. You actually get your money in pesos, not in dollars and, of course, the rates fluctuate. There is only one location in the city for pick up (Libertad 1057) so it's not as convenient as an ATM machine, but you can pick up as much as U.S. $2999 worth of pesos at a time instead of the $300 limit of most ATM machines.
tangueraintrepida, very much obliged indeed. If you can pick up close to US$3000.00 at a time converted in Argie Pesos and its conversion rate is same or closer to Dollar Blue of the day? If this is possible then I don't need to conceal wads of USD with me when I travel.
The draw back is: only (1) location for this transaction in all BsAs.? The Xoom says: many places you can receive your money in BsAs but all this disclosure not to be believed I guess..? Now if I want to send US$ and want to retrieve also in US$ then can I go to any of Xoom assignated agencies in the wide BsAs.? How is your take on this,?
Regards,

tangueraintrepida, very much obliged indeed. If you can pick up close to US$3000.00 at a time converted in Argie Pesos and its conversion rate is same or closer to Dollar Blue of the day? If this is possible then I don't need to conceal wads of USD with me when I travel.
The draw back is: only (1) location for this transaction in all BsAs.? The Xoom says: many places you can receive your money in BsAs but all this disclosure not to be believed I guess..? Now if I want to send US$ and want to retrieve also in US$ then can I go to any of Xoom assignated agencies in the wide BsAs.? How is your take on this,?
Regards,

For clarification, there are many locations to pick up in the province of Buenos Aires, but most locations are in the outskirts of the Capital Federal, not in the city center. Depending on where you will be staying, you may have more options to pick up cash. You cannot get dollars from Xoom. If you must have dollars, you should bring them with you in cash when you come, up to $9,999.

Hmmm, The Xoom states the following as of today.

Guaranteed exchange rate* 1 USD = 6.3127 ARS> Is the BsAs street Blue Dollar cambio rate any different.?

Back