iPhone from US in ARG--Will it work?

bmagda

Registered
Hi All!

I wanted to know if it's worth it to bring my iPhone over? I heard most phones are prepaid over there? Will an iPhone work? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I'd bring the iphone. I regret not bringing mine everyday. It will work fine on the argentine networks, the prepaid plans have data options and unless its an iphone4 the simcard will just slide in (if it's a 4, google sim card cutting)

I would bring it but be cautious about flashing it in public places casually like we do often times without thinking twice in the USA for instance. Regardless, with phone plan prices here, I doubt you will be strolling down Palermo gabbing away on it as you might do in the States. IPhones here are a hot commodity as they are insanely expensive to buy here so yes, I am guessing that because of this they are a hot prime target for thefts, but then again I have seen Argentine business men typing away on Blackberrys on busy Avenida Santa Fe and other crowded streets, people taking photos at boliches with their Iphones, and nothing has happened. Like anything, i guess it just depends on where you are and when, but obviously using big city common sense will probably avoid getting into situations in the first place.

I would bring it.. make sure it's jailbroken and unlocked (obviously) and just don't flash it in public... I swore I wasn't going to bring my iphone out of my apartment but I did so I could listen to podcasts while I wait in long lines running errands and nothing has happened to me yet...

I've had my iPhone here for almost 2 years and never had any issues with it working or having it stolen out of my hands.

That being said, if you have the latest iPhone 4 from AT&T, it is locked to AT&T's network and at this point cannot be used on any other carrier.

I'd suggest that you sell it in the US and buy one of the new unlocked iPhone 4's that Apple just started selling in the last week. You'll pay a bit more (16GB for $649/32GB for $749), but be much happier with that purchase. You can upgrade it and not have to worry about whether hackers have figured out how to unlock it.

You will only be able to get pre-paid service here, and if you do not keep your data turned off when not using it, you will quickly eat through your credit. You can get 1GB of data to use over 1 day for $10 pesos from Movistar, but that requires you to send a text message to activate. Still, there is a lot of public WiFi here which makes it useful for checking email in a cafe, etc. as long as you're not afraid to "pull it out in public."

Back